Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best charging method

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. I have 2 chargers in my garage, level 1/2. Obviously one gives about 4miles/hour, the other about 25. I randomly pick one or the other, depending on when I will be driving next. For long term battery life, which is better to use? Thanks

This has been covered no less than ten thousand times. Neither will have any negative impact on the HV battery life. Your question is akin to asking if you should drive your Ferrari at 10mph or 15mph to prolong the life of the engine.

Related: the slower connection will use more energy as longer charge sessions take more electricity as the overhead is the same, regardless if it's 5mph charge rate or 25mph charge rate.

Summary: use the 25 whenever possible because it will save you a few pennies of wasted electricity. Neither one will "harm" or be "better" for your HV battery.

Last edited:
Quick question. I have 2 chargers in my garage, level 1/2. Obviously one gives about 4miles/hour, the other about 25. I randomly pick one or the other, depending on when I will be driving next. For long term battery life, which is better to use? Thanks

You might want to see if you can relocate that level 1 EVSE to a 20 amp. circuit.

I've charged every EV I've owned in the last 5 years on a 120v, 20 amp circuit and typically get about 7 mph. In my case, I already had the #12 wire, so just swapped out the outlet with a 20 amp, medical grade outlet, then used the 20 amp adapter I ordered from Tesla before I took delivery.

Why would I settle for 120v? My daily commute is about 7 miles round trip and I have a SC about a mile away, if I need to make a 100 mile trip on consecutive days. We live in an apartment and have free electric in the garage. I wasn't going to sign the lease until I had tested the garage outlet, which I did in front of them.

With only one circuit for everything in the garage, including door opener & lights, there's no easy way to get 240v into that garage, so that's not going to happen, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
battery degradation is minimum. it is stronger function of weather you charge to 100%, 90% or 80%. That said, if you can, use the level 2 charger. The 240V has higher charging efficiency than 120V, not just speed. 240V charging is above 85% efficient. 120V is lower than 80%.