Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both screens black and won’t reset (tried both two button and four button methods)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 MX Standard Range. 38k miles.

We were away for a week. We left it plugged into level 1 charging at home in the garage. Last time I checked was a few days ago and it was charged to 90%. App says last time it saw the car was 2 days ago … but app won’t connect.

Car was unlocked. Lights and HVAC come on and it went into D and R and P but I haven’t driven it this way yet. Also I plugged into the charger and it appears to be charging (pulsating green light at receptacle and the charger has the lights indicating flow of power to the car).

It has had the black screen issue a few times before but a simple two scroll button reset has always woken it up. I tried both 2 button methods and the 4 button method and nothing works.

12v battery is original and my warranty expired literally 4 days ago - not that it would have covered the 12v battery anyway. It’s just going to piss me off royally if it’s something more serious than the 12v battery.

When and how does the 12v battery charge? Which other devices can I test to determine if the 12v battery has failed?

I have scheduled a SC appointment but they can’t take me until Friday. I’m hoping they will send a mobile tech sooner.

It has had the black screen issue a few times before but a simple two scroll button reset has always woken it up. I tried both 2 button methods and the 4 button method and nothing works.
Took me a few minutes to find this thread but something you should check out:

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. Because I had PIN-To-Drive enabled, I had no way to enter the PIN so couldn't drive it. Towed to SC and the MCU2 had died. Even though the vehicle was still under warranty, they said since I had the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade installed, that upgrade was not included in the vehicle warranty. I suspect the same issue you are having, however since yours came with MCU2 the warranty should cover it. Hopefully you are still under warranty. Seems like it cost me over $2k.

Unfortunately the warranty expired while I was out of town and the car was sitting in my garage. I purchased an XCare warranty last week but I’m still in the 30 day waiting period.

Should I try to disconnect/reconnect the 12v battery? Would that reboot the MCU2? I saw on another thread that someone with a similar issue did this and it basically bricked the car so it had to be towed. At least I seem to be able to drive it to the SC the way it is now. I just don’t know for sure the SoC.

Should I try to disconnect/reconnect the 12v battery? Would that reboot the MCU2? I saw on another thread that someone with a similar issue did this and it basically bricked the car so it had to be towed. At least I seem to be able to drive it to the SC the way it is now. I just don’t know for sure the SoC.
I'd drive it to the Service Center. Does your phone connect to it to see the SOC?
Since you can charge and know the distance to the Svc Center and how many miles per hour you gain when charging you can know how long to charge.