Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best child seats for Model Y (Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Hoping some Model Y owners can help.
My niece owns a small car and has a little girl about 1 years old now.
She and her husband intend to have at least one more but that will mean a bigger car. Uncle Mark is trying to steer them towards a second hand Model Y but he can’t answer any questions about what child seats fit in a Model Y and can you get 3 across the back or not. As I don’t own a Model Y and don’t have kids, does anyone on the forum have experience with fitting child seats, makes and models and how many fit across the back seat?
Uncle Mark would be grateful for the knowledge.

I haven't tried fitting baby seats to my MY. For most cars, even biggish ones, you need fairly slimline child seats to fit three across. Although, make sure they consider the age and stage of the kids they anticipate fitting for, as they are unlikely to need to fit three baby seats at the same time (if they have triplets, then nothing will save them anyway!)

For the older kids in booster seats, It can really help to fit seatbelt extenders so that you are plugging the seatbelt in at the kid's hip instead of reaching right around and down to the level of the car seat.

Reactions: meloccom
TBH in Australia it's a bit of a scam. I think only NZ and Aust has the dodgy flexible isofix so you can't use the normal baby seats from the rest of the world.

Anyway, we went for the Britax Safe-n-Sound b-first ifix. It's got a hard outershell with side impact protection cushions and it works from ages 0-> 4yrs (it's a convertible reward/forward facing). Easy to clean and it's a comfy seat with nice padding compared to some cheap ones we saw. We got it also cause it was one of the seats that would have fitted well in a Model S but then Tesla stopped them in Aust, so... we got the Y Perf.

We've travelled overseas to NZ probably a dozen times with it and on holiday flights around Aust (rental cars always seem to have cheap seats in them) and ISOFIX just plugs in and you're ready to go.

Price wise it was around $600 so not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. We bought two (one for grandma's car as well).

1718245770976.png

Attachments

• 1718245757191.png
    1718245757191.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: meloccom