Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't it be great if the Tesla charger would talk to the Powerwall

Wouldn't it be better if car never (in normal use) charged from PowerWall? Inefficient to go Grid/PV->PowerWall->EV so better to go both:

Grid/PV->PowerWall->House
Grid/PV->EV

That said, I suppose someone with excess PV, a Powerwall, at work during daylight hours, would want to do PV->PowerWall during the day and PowerWall->Car overnight

But that could be compared with the alternative of having a second EV, at home most days, as the "Battery" for excess PV

Reactions: MrBadger
Wouldn't it be better if car never (in normal use) charged from PowerWall? Inefficient to go Grid/PV->PowerWall->EV so better to go both:

Grid/PV->PowerWall->House
Grid/PV->EV

That said, I suppose someone with excess PV, a Powerwall, at work during daylight hours, would want to do PV->PowerWall during the day and PowerWall->Car overnight

But that could be compared with the alternative of having a second EV, at home most days, as the "Battery" for excess PV

All of the above plus other options. That is, I believe, the appeal of the Zappi using excess solar to charge the car if you want it to.

My other half and I work from home a lot and we have random patterns which make it tricky to maximise the use but having a myriad of different devices with their own rules not talking to each other is always the bottom line challenge. It's like home AV stuff. Always something working against something else. I know there are all-encompassing home control systems that would do this (similar to the show control systems we used on live events many moons ago) but it involves either an expensive designer or a VERY steep learning curve I'd imagine!

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I know there are all-encompassing home control systems that would do this

Maybe ... if so I'd like to fine one.

My entry-level questions start with:

If the thermostat asks for heat and the temperature doesn't go up does it do the obvious thing and assume something is amiss and notify me?

Answer usually = Nope.

or sometimes: "It learns your pattern of use Sir" ... which I understand to translate to "Bull" !!

Reactions: jimbo_hippo