Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging anomalies M3 & Zappi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
I’ve been charging EV’s for 7 years without issue, the Tesla for 4 years.

I had a new charge port fitted at the back end of last year and since last month, perhaps a shade earlier the car has randomly delayed charge. Usually it’s just a few minutes and then continues. Once it didn’t restart at all. Once it signalled charge complete when it was nowhere near.

Today charge completed at 11:47. The Zappi logs show no interaction with the car after this time.
At 16:07 the Tesla app notified charge complete (again!). No charge whatsoever had taken place. I’ve never seen this before.

There are no timers set, I’m not on IO and I have no voltage issues. The Zappi was new in November and all the log entries indicate it’s responding to what the car tells it.

I suspect a poor connection in the charge port or suchlike.

Anyone encountered similar?

Today charge completed at 11:47. The Zappi logs show no interaction with the car after this time.
At 16:07 the Tesla app notified charge complete (again!). No charge whatsoever had taken place. I’ve never seen this before.

I noticed last week or so that the charge completed notification was very late. It may have been a comms /api issue as iirc TeslaFi reported a phantom charge.

I say phantom charge as I checked my homebrew electricity monitor that spot measures every 5 minutes but also averages over that time and no evidence of any large power draw during that time.

But memory is a little vague so actually may be slightly different. I could double check logs if needed.

Dumb/in car scheduled charging fwiw.

I noticed last week or so that the charge completed notification was very late. It may have been a comms /api issue as iirc TeslaFi reported a phantom charge.

I say phantom charge as I checked my homebrew electricity monitor that spot measures every 5 minutes but also averages over that time and no evidence of any large power draw during that time.

But memory is a little vague so actually may be slightly different. I could double check logs if needed.

Dumb/in car scheduled charging fwiw.
That’s the trouble. Could be car software, car hardware, recent app update or perhaps the new Zappi though that’s less likely.
I’m sure it’s car orientated.

I’m sure you’re aware that the Zappi implements the stupid regulatory requirement to delay a charge by up to 10 mins?
Yes, I am. It does that, but that’s not the problem which in itself is a bit random. Say I set a scheduled boost in the Zappi. The charge starts, albeit up to 10 mins late, then usually early on in the charge, Zappi shows ‘charge delayed’. It could be moments or minutes later that the charge restarts. Once, it was not at all! Charge delayed is usually the car saying no. Never had this problem until this year.

…and of course, it’s not every charge.

I've had all sorts of issues with charging my M3 on my mum's Zappi. Ours works fine and we never have an issue (our Zappi is a couple of month's newer), but when I charge at hers I get all sorts of interruptions, charge delayed and failed charges. I've worked around it by reducing the current to 29A, which seems to help - even with that there are still some interruptions. I've wondered if her Zappi is oversensitive to heat, but the readings never show a high temperature.

I've had all sorts of issues with charging my M3 on my mum's Zappi. Ours works fine and we never have an issue (our Zappi is a couple of month's newer), but when I charge at hers I get all sorts of interruptions, charge delayed and failed charges. I've worked around it by reducing the current to 29A, which seems to help - even with that there are still some interruptions. I've wondered if her Zappi is oversensitive to heat, but the readings never show a high temperature.
Likewise, temperature doesn’t seem to be an issue. It’s in the garage in the same place as the old Zappi. It’s set to 30 amps.
The V1 worked for 4 years without issue. This is V2.1 new in November.
Our outdoor V2.1 works fine and the Peugeot charges fine on the garage one too.

Reactions: Burley