Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best (most problem free and well supported) Power Frunk for the 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to use the button on the trunk or the button in the Frunk, or the onscreen button. At the moment it's only the app that has changed. I'm betting when the newest FSD is installed on our cars that only the hard buttons in the car will work. :rolleyes:
Bummer...Well i will certainly put off considering buying the PowerFrunk until they get this sorted...If ever.

I love the idea of being able to remote open the Frunk, if someone has to put something in the car, i would much rather that i opened the frunk, than the trunk. The Frunk only gives access to the Frunk, whereas the trunk gives access to the whole car.

Reactions: Darren F
Bummer...Well i will certainly put off considering buying the PowerFrunk until they get this sorted...If ever.

I love the idea of being able to remote open the Frunk, if someone has to put something in the car, i would much rather that i opened the frunk, than the trunk. The Frunk only gives access to the Frunk, whereas the trunk gives access to the whole car.
You can still open and close the frunk through Tessie or any app that can access the API (like shortcuts on iPhone or the widget)

• Love
Reactions: Darren F
i actually installed a power frunk setup and it could NOT auto close or open. i kept on trying to align it and nothing would help it work properly. So what i did was remove the suction motor, power frunk ECU and bracket. i left the power struts on the car. So Now everything works just fine EXCEPT i would have to push down and Manuel lock the frunk. Other then that it unlocks open, and closed down and i would Manuel lock the hook. Seller gave me a refund and i kept the parts. so i would say my setup up is 95% working

I bought the Hansshow power frunk when I purchased my MYP last fall, but didn’t install it until spring. Definitely use the frunk much more with it powered than without; just about daily now rather than around twice a month before. Handy for stashing things I want out of sight (my build was Fremont, just a week or two before cargo cover was added).

Have worked on cars for 35 years, have replaced clutches, dropped an engine (thought better of it and scrapped the car) have added a/c, cruise control, backup cameras, fog lights, done body work/painting, replaced stereos, etc. I know my way around vehicles very well.

Took my time with the install and it worked flawlessly. Biggest concern post install was…. What if one strut goes out and the other keeps working, is there a possibility the hood could be damaged?

From online reviews already knew post install manufacturer service could be challenging. Well, figured, the utility value would be so satisfying that it would be worth the risk and if it *maybe* someday cost me $3,000 in repairs the benefit outweighs the risk.

My worst fear hasn’t happened, but what I thought a minor irritation: The frunk no longer closes from the app. Okay, well, go in and hit the dash to close the frunk. Today I get an alert the frunk is open… thing is, I didn’t have the app open on screen. Meaning it opened itself. Now I’m imagining being parked at the airport. Calling my wife to drive to the airport (if we aren’t traveling together) to drive 40 minutes one way to the airport parking ramp to push the button on the screen of the car to close the frunk…

Wish Tesla had an aftermarket option available. Personally I’d pay two, three, four times what these crap kits cost to have a Tesla kit installed. Doubt that will happen, but expect (hope) they will add them to upcoming refresh of M3 and MY. Except I love my MYP and my wife just also bought a 2023 Tesla, hers is a MYLR, so we won’t be replacing our vehicles for a long time.

Definitely wouldn’t go without a power frunk. But might be replacing mine with the EVOffer.
Used the dash screen or Watch for Tesla app to close the Hansshow power frunk on my 2023 MYP until a couple weeks ago when my worst powered frunk fear was realized... One of the struts stopped working. I did figure out what happens: The non-operating powered strut simply does not move, contorting the hood until the operating powered strut stops moving entirely, returning the hood to the closed position. Glad I kept the OEM struts as I will be removing this trash and returning the vehicle to its original non-powered frunk factory condition. I will not go through this headache again. Now, I just have to figure out how to tackle this project without ruining the hood...

Attachments

• IMG_5227.jpeg
    IMG_5227.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: WattsSon
Used the dash screen or Watch for Tesla app to close the Hansshow power frunk on my 2023 MYP until a couple weeks ago when my worst powered frunk fear was realized... One of the struts stopped working. I did figure out what happens: The non-operating powered strut simply does not move, contorting the hood until the operating powered strut stops moving entirely, returning the hood to the closed position. Glad I kept the OEM struts as I will be removing this trash and returning the vehicle to its original non-powered frunk factory condition. I will not go through this headache again. Now, I just have to figure out how to tackle this project without ruining the hood...
Anything from Hannshow is junk.

Same exact thing happened to me two weeks ago. It bent the hood in a way that the windshield wipers will no longer go down all the way. Hannshow support was less than helpful. I have not yet found a way to get the Hannshow struts off of the fender well. I disconnected the tops of the struts so the frunk can at least be closed for now, but I am still stuck with a non usable frunk and wipers that hit the top of the hood.

• Informative
Reactions: WattsSon and jebinc
Damn, all these failure stories have put me off from installing a powered frunk. I installed just the soft-close portion of the frunk. It’s a motor attached to a cable that sucks the hood closed when the latch touches a metal trigger. The cable releases when it’s done so you can open it normally and use the OEM emergency jumper wires in the case of 12V power failure. Was only $60 on AliExpress.

Damn, all these failure stories have put me off from installing a powered frunk. I installed just the soft-close portion of the frunk. It’s a motor attached to a cable that sucks the hood closed when the latch touches a metal trigger. The cable releases when it’s done so you can open it normally and use the OEM emergency jumper wires in the case of 12V power failure. Was only $60 on AliExpress.

Lol, it's the soft close motor of the Hansshow power frunk that recently failed on my wife and I. It was fixable though, if yours has an emergency release pull on it you may want to read this and double-check your install:

TMC | Post, unjamming my power frunk