Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best (most problem free and well supported) Power Frunk for the 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all,

My wife just purchased an Austin 4860 AWD MY and we will need to fit a power frunk mod to it. I see many many threads (spread over many years), so I thought I would ask the community what is the best offering (value, seamless integration, reliability and support) as of today?

Many thanks!

I see a lot of threads on these things, but I dont have one cause of the issues I have seen people run into with them. Assuming that you have been around here long enough to see that, the one that I have noticed people like the most / seem to have fewer issues with is the EV offer one (used to be Tesla offer I think?).

I have seen enough threads on Hansshow stuff turn out to have issues that I personally would never buy anything made by them, myself, but other people do.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
I had the Hansshow frunk & trunk on my '18 LR3 (group buy). Didn't take long and both controllers got wet, quit working and needed to be replaced. Then Hansshow came out with bags for the controllers and I found out quickly, although you tie wrap it, it's not 100% sealed and you have to install with the open side down, so any condensation would drain out. Prior to that, I'd hear beeps and on occasion, the frunk would open in a car wash.

They were pretty reliable after that point, but can't say I used the frunk enough for it to justify the amount of work it took for me to install it. It was nice when it worked tho.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Sadly, I don't think such a thing exists. I'd love for our vehicles to have it as we very infrequently use our funks just due to convenience. If Tesla hasn't yet added it there's probably a reason. Based on some of the horror stories I've read I can kind of understand why if you think of the potential for liability.

I see a lot of threads on these things, but I dont have one cause of the issues I have seen people run into with them. Assuming that you have been around here long enough to see that, the one that I have noticed people like the most / seem to have fewer issues with is the EV offer one (used to be Tesla offer I think?).

I have seen enough threads on Hansshow stuff turn out to have issues that I personally would never buy anything made by them, myself, but other people do.
Same experience. WOULD NEVER buy anything from Hansshow. I post for this very reason - so much out there about so many products and the opinions change/evolve over time. It's almost as bad as all of the forward facing cockpit displays...

I had an EV Offer one for a while …… until it got stuck closed. Removed it after that. I have found that although the novelty and coolness of the auto frunk is appealing …… I don’t miss it at all. I’m in my frunk at least a couple times a week and find it very simple to lift it open and push it closed.

Why not live with the manual frunk for a while before deciding whether or not you really need the mod? (Unless you are already sure ……)

• Helpful
Reactions: David99 and Ciaopec
Hey Jeb. Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind, but I’d like to share my experience for anyone else considering one of these aftermarket kits. I installed and have been using a Hansshow power Frunk and power Trunk on my M3P for about 3-1/2 years. Both have worked flawlessly from day 1. I use both just about every day, which means they have gone through a lot of open/close cycles. Both are still working like a champ. I recently purchased a MYP for the wife and of course also installed a power Frunk kit on that vehicle. This time, I decided to go with EVOffer because of their reputation for being a little more responsive to customers. Personally, I think both companies (EVOffer and Hansshow) use quality motors and struts in their kits. So, I would not hesitate to buy a frunk kit from either company if/when needed on a future vehicle.

I don’t think the horror stories you read about are as widespread as they appear to be. As with anything, we tend to hear a lot from the few who have problems, and not much from the many who have no issues and are happy with their kits.
Not everything designed/built in Asia is bad. In fact, there are plenty of manufacturers in Asia who have similar or even superior quality compared to U.S. manufactures.

Of course, a post is worthless without a pic. So, here ya go! 🙃

IMG_6989.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Jeb. Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind, but I’d like to share my experience for anyone else considering one of these aftermarket kits. I installed and have been using a Hansshow power Frunk and power Trunk on my M3P for about 3-1/2 years. Both have worked flawlessly from day 1. I use both just about every day, which means they have gone through a lot of open/close cycles. Both are still working like a champ. I recently purchased a MYP for the wife and of course also installed a power Frunk kit on that vehicle. This time, I decided to go with EVOffer because of their reputation for being a little more responsive to customers. Personally, I think both companies (EVOffer and Hansshow) use quality motors and struts in their kits. So, I would not hesitate to buy a frunk kit from either company if/when needed on a future vehicle.

I don’t think the horror stories you read about are as widespread as they appear to be. As with anything, we tend to hear a lot from the few who have problems, and not much from the many who have no issues and are happy with their kits.
Not everything designed/built in Asia is bad. In fact, there are plenty of manufacturers in Asia who have similar or even superior quality compared to U.S. manufactures.

Of course, a post is worthless without a pic. So, here ya go! 🙃

View attachment 932530
Purely anecdotal, but when you take into account the minimal number of Tesla's that actually have these kits installed relevant to how many Tesla's don't have them installed, the frequency of issues that are reported is actually quite high. Alarmingly so. In fact, your report of flawless usage over a longer period of time appears to be the exception to the rule. The types of issues that occur can negatively impact ones entire day or worse. Based on some of the things I've seen. It's not like when they fail they go back to operating the exact same way they did before the kit was installed. Couple that with the fact that if an owner doesn't install it, they don't have to worry about any of these issues at all and you've got the recipe of why most people have chosen to avoid them even though they would love the functionality.

• Love
Reactions: Luisito and jebinc
Purely anecdotal, but when you take into account the minimal number of Tesla's that actually have these kits installed relevant to how many Tesla's don't have them installed, the frequency of issues that are reported is actually quite high. Alarmingly so. In fact, your report of flawless usage over a longer period of time appears to be the exception to the rule. The types of issues that occur can negatively impact ones entire day or worse. Based on some of the things I've seen. It's not like when they fail they go back to operating the exact same way they did before the kit was installed. Couple that with the fact that if an owner doesn't install it, they don't have to worry about any of these issues at all and you've got the recipe of why most people have chosen to avoid them even though they would love the functionality.

Good counter-points. Definitely cannot argue with anything you’ve said. Personally, I think the majority of reported issues & failures have been caused either by improper or less than ideal installations, and/or the ECU getting too wet and developing electrical problems. On older kits like mine, the ECU module/housing is not water-proof. So, those were more susceptible to failure due to water ingress and moisture. Fortunately in recent years, most of these power frunk/trunk manufacturers have switched to a fully water-proof ECU housing design (and are also now using better motors, struts and latches than what I currently have on my Gen 1 or 2 kit).
So, I think when installed properly, the real risk for any major problems or failure on these newer kits is very low.

Ultimately, one just has to decide for him/herself if the convenience/coolness of having a power frunk is worth the risk associated with installing an aftermarket product such as this. For me, the answer is definitely, heck yes. For others, it may be a, hell no! 👍

OK, one more pic for good measure!!

IMG_7110.jpeg

This is negative selection bias. Yes, there are very few installation examples. Installations are only likely pursued by a select type of person. Some probably shouldn't install. There is almost no insight into root cause - product issue versus installation error. Mostly only negative comments will be posted. So, it is pretty much impossible to glean a true better or worse comparison. I don't even think this forum gives insight into why most people choose or avoid them.

If you are a hobbiest and love technology, I say "go for it." If you are dependent on someone else to do the installation, I would avoid unless they are a highly regarded shop.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
This is negative selection bias. Yes, there are very few installation examples. Installations are only likely pursued by a select type of person. Some probably shouldn't install. There is almost no insight into root cause - product issue versus installation error. Mostly only negative comments will be posted. So, it is pretty much impossible to glean a true better or worse comparison. I don't even think this forum gives insight into why most people choose or avoid them.

If you are a hobbiest and love technology, I say "go for it." If you are dependent on someone else to do the installation, I would avoid unless they are a highly regarded shop.
The inherent complexity of the install and system can't be separated and therefore must be considered a negative aspect of the solution as a whole. By your own words you can't even fully trust having a shop do it so that Q factor for unreliability must always be considered. It's not a negative selection bias, it's reality. I really want this solution because of the real world implications of day-to-day use but given it might make frunk unopenable, uncloseable or (worst yet) spontaneously fly open at highway speeds the risk simply isn't worth the reward. It's not as if when it fails you go back to manual operation of the Frunk or least then you'd only be out the money it cost.

The inherent complexity of the install and system can't be separated and therefore must be considered a negative aspect of the solution as a whole. By your own words you can't even fully trust having a shop do it so that Q factor for unreliability must always be considered. It's not a negative selection bias, it's reality. I really want this solution because of the real world implications of day-to-day use but given it might make frunk unopenable, uncloseable or (worst yet) spontaneously fly open at highway speeds the risk simply isn't worth the reward. It's not as if when it fails you go back to manual operation of the Frunk or least then you'd only be out the money it cost.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote...

This is negative bias because you drew a conclusion from a source that is largely populated by people needing help. You do not know:
  1. How many units are installed and working well
  2. Whether the issues are user error, installation error, or product design
  3. How the issues were resolved
Your fear of a spontaneously fly open at highway speeds is kinda preposterous. There is a logical fallacy for that, but I didn't feel like remembering which one it is. It is when you cannot differentiate possible from probable. A simple glance at how the Tesla hood works mechanically and electronically would show that scenario is almost impossible.

The installation itself is not complex at all. In fact, it is quite easy. It is a hassle because of the physical challenge of removing and reinstalling the struts, but the rest is very easy with little possibility of error.

Also, I did not say "you can't even fully trust having a shop do it." When you get to the point of installing something really cool like this, feel free to DM me, and I will let you know the criteria I would look for in a "highly regarded shop."

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood what I wrote...

This is negative bias because you drew a conclusion from a source that is largely populated by people needing help. You do not know:
  1. How many units are installed and working well
  2. Whether the issues are user error, installation error, or product design
  3. How the issues were resolved
Your fear of a spontaneously fly open at highway speeds is kinda preposterous. There is a logical fallacy for that, but I didn't feel like remembering which one it is. It is when you cannot differentiate possible from probable. A simple glance at how the Tesla hood works mechanically and electronically would show that scenario is almost impossible.

The installation itself is not complex at all. In fact, it is quite easy. It is a hassle because of the physical challenge of removing and reinstalling the struts, but the rest is very easy with little possibility of error.

Also, I did not say "you can't even fully trust having a shop do it." When you get to the point of installing something really cool like this, feel free to DM me, and I will let you know the criteria I would look for in a "highly regarded shop."
Now I'm convinced you have some sort of affiliation with an entity that serves to make a profit on these products either directly or indirectly. Your stance on this isn't founded in the reality that is: for such an unpopular modification there is an awful lot so negative reviews. This figure is so strong in terms of relativity that it simply can't be dismissed as a simple case of "well, when people have an issue they post so that's why it seems higher" because this is one of the conversations I see more negativity on a general Tesla forum than lots of other items that are 1) known to be problematic and 2) installed in every single car. This isn't bias. It's not scientific by any means but when there's an overwhelming amount of anecdote it's easier to draw sound conclusions.

Then, there's the issues that can occur if things go wrong. Having my frunk fail in an open position and NOT allow me to close it or causing damage to any component of the frunk just to complete my journey is a very bad thing. Having the frunk fail closed and require heroic steps to get it to open again is a bad thing. Having it spontaneously open while in motion (at any speed) is a bad thing. Your statement that that last one is "kinda preposterous" and yet that would assume it to be impossible. If it has happened even once that makes it far from preposterous, right? The reality is I've seen mention of this very thing happening on numerous occasions now and there has even been photographic evidence of the aftermath posted online over the years.

I'll say it again, I'm not bashing any one manufacturer as I really, REALLY want this solution to work. I do. I want this functionality on all of my cars and curse the fact that Tesla didn't do it from the factory. The reality is that, in their current state, the cons far outweigh the pros if you look at the those two lists unbiased and logically. This is one of those items that simply must function flawlessly with a non-existent failure rate to make the financial investment even remotely worthwhile. When you factor in the cost (even if you do install it yourself) the failure rate and potential situations that can arise due to any component of this solution failing you start to see why so few people actually opt for this even though so many people would love the functionality,

Now I'm convinced you have some sort of affiliation with an entity that serves to make a profit on these products either directly or indirectly. Your stance on this isn't founded in the reality that is: for such an unpopular modification there is an awful lot so negative reviews. This figure is so strong in terms of relativity that it simply can't be dismissed as a simple case of "well, when people have an issue they post so that's why it seems higher" because this is one of the conversations I see more negativity on a general Tesla forum than lots of other items that are 1) known to be problematic and 2) installed in every single car. This isn't bias. It's not scientific by any means but when there's an overwhelming amount of anecdote it's easier to draw sound conclusions.

Then, there's the issues that can occur if things go wrong. Having my frunk fail in an open position and NOT allow me to close it or causing damage to any component of the frunk just to complete my journey is a very bad thing. Having the frunk fail closed and require heroic steps to get it to open again is a bad thing. Having it spontaneously open while in motion (at any speed) is a bad thing. Your statement that that last one is "kinda preposterous" and yet that would assume it to be impossible. If it has happened even once that makes it far from preposterous, right? The reality is I've seen mention of this very thing happening on numerous occasions now and there has even been photographic evidence of the aftermath posted online over the years.

I'll say it again, I'm not bashing any one manufacturer as I really, REALLY want this solution to work. I do. I want this functionality on all of my cars and curse the fact that Tesla didn't do it from the factory. The reality is that, in their current state, the cons far outweigh the pros if you look at the those two lists unbiased and logically. This is one of those items that simply must function flawlessly with a non-existent failure rate to make the financial investment even remotely worthwhile. When you factor in the cost (even if you do install it yourself) the failure rate and potential situations that can arise due to any component of this solution failing you start to see why so few people actually opt for this even though so many people would love the functionality,
Wow, I did not expect posts with a few facts and objective insights into negative bias and the true nature of an automated frunk kit would lead to an assumption of profit motive.

I write from a perspective of someone with a lifetime of experience with complex mechanical, electrical, and digital car upgrade and enhancement projects and has first-hand experience with one of these kits.

This kit is pretty simple. And it interfaces with the car in a clean and easy way. It is not for everyone, because you do need to be comfortable with basic car projects and attention to detail. It is not that special.

Your objections look like anti-EV folks that point to Tesla battery fires and FSD crashes. Case in point: your just-added concern about having an automated frunk stuck open... What would you do if the close button on your automated trunk would not close? You would just reach up and close it. Go forth and do likewise with an automated frunk.

Your counter to the preposterous comment is a logical fallacy. It equates probable with possible. Same with the locked open fallacy. The risk of these frunks is that they will get suck closed with two failures - both the unit will not initiate an open and the manual release does not work. The rest are possible, but not probable, due to many factors. You do not know prevalence, you do not know cause, you do not know how they even work, you do not know the failure rates, you do not understand the risk, yet you make conclusions based on a tiny few data points. Actual manual hoods fly open all the time. You should probably stop driving if this zero-risk fear freezes you.

These are not for everyone, and you are probably in that camp. But, for those who do good research, understand the actual risks, and are comfortable with the installation, they are pretty freakin' awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: towndrunk
For anyone that has one of these - is the CPU potted / covered in rubber or epoxy at all for protection? Is there a reason why it couldn't be?

Assuming you decide to purchase from either of the two major resellers of these kits (EVOffer and Hansshow), the brains/CPU is already enclosed in a water-proof housing. So, no additional enclosure/protection needed, but of course there is no reason why you cannot add your own enclosure if that makes you feel better.

Here is a photo of the control module on the one that I just purchased/installed from EVOffer. This was their latest version/ECU (mark 5.2) until about 3-4 weeks ago, when EVOffer just released mark 6.x (which now has the ability to receive/install software updates OTA).

IMG_7067.jpeg