Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best overall review of the Model 3 I've yet seen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes if you ran it down to 5% every drive. Most use cases you leave the house at 80% to 90% and return over 50%. And Tesla recommends at least 15/40 in your home which means the average Tesla Model 3 driver takes 4-6 hours each day to charge.

Here in the US, standard home plugs (5-15) give about 4 miles per hour of charge. No idea what it is in Europe. That means 24 hours of charge is 96 miles. In my model 3 performance, my daily commute to work is 75 miles round trip, and I use about 95-100 miles range to do this commute. so it would take 24 hours to get my normal commute back, using a standard 5-15 plug.

A day and 1/2 of charge is 144 miles. Thats not out of the realm of possibility. I agree with you on the upgraded charging, but If remember correctly, the video mentions upgraded charging as well. the video stating the number that way is good IMO because prospective tesla owners should PLAN to have SOME sort of upgraded charging in their residence, in my opinion. In my case, using a tesla Wall connector with the maximum my model 3 can take (240v /48 amps), the charge time above for ny normal commute that would be 24 hours, is cut down to about 2 hours and 15 minutes.

TL ; DR - I dont find it out of the realm of possibility for someone to say it takes 1.5 days to charge a tesla... the math says that you only have to have used 1/2 the range to do so, not "driving it down to 5%". Its one more vote for having SOME sort of upgraded charging.

You guys are technically correct, but not practically. In the video after telling you it taks a day and a half to charge, he tells you that you can get the "special" Tesla wall connector and charge in just "half a day", and then he ends up saying you will need to utilize superchargers to make things practical.

It's just misleading for non Tesla people watching the video. For example, the wall charger chargers a LR model 3 at about 41 mph. Most people will be fully charged (to 80-90%) within 4 hours given average commutes. In JJRandorins example above, it would take him less than 3 hours with a HPWC.

Reactions: Magnets!
He’s in the UK - are any of you intimately familiar with the home charging options there?
I wasn't. But it took me about 30 seconds to find out that one can easily install a 32 amp outlet in the UK. That charges at the same rate as the UMC plugged into a 14/50 here in the US.
It wouldn't have been difficult to find this out.
Look, I like this guy. I have seen a few of his videos. But charging time is THE KEY question asked of Tesla owners by interested non owners. Seems like this would be something he could have tried harder to get right. He sure spend a lot of time getting position shots from cute angles all over the shoot. :rolleyes::D

Reactions: Magnets!