Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best / Quickest At home hand wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a pressure washer get a foam cannon.. I have an S and also picked up a Worx electric leaf blower as the handles, window trim and refreshed front badge area hold water and drip after drying causing hard water streaks.

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Daily-Cannon-Connector-Pressure/dp/B07HC898GM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3L6XI9YP9J93J&dchild=1&keywords=pressure+washer+foam+cannon&qid=1592430197&sprefix=pressure+washer+,aps,213&sr=8-3

I’d recommend a different one with a wider opening. Pouring car soap in that little hole can sometimes get annoying. Otherwise they pretty much all work the same.

No pressure washer for me...thinking about microfiber cloths as only tool!

you can buy garden hose foam cannons too if you don't have a pressure washer..amazon has a bunch...how you clean and what you clean with all depend on how much you care. when i drove leased cars, i cleaned with a broom handled brush because i certainly didn't care about scratches and swirls.

Anything involving you touching the car is going to take longer than 10 minutes. Best you can do under 10 minutes is spray it with a hose/soap canon and hope that is enough to wash off whatever is stuck to the car. You'll have to do that very frequently for it to be effective.

This is another reason many ppl recommend and get a ceramic coating. Makes a bi-weekly two bucket hand wash much easier and quicker. You'll find the car just stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean with a good sealant.

Reactions: rafa2020
This is another reason many ppl recommend and get a ceramic coating. Makes a bi-weekly two bucket hand wash much easier and quicker. You'll find the car just stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean with a good sealant.
Thanks. Sorry for all the newbie questions!

would a ppf wrap provide the same benefit as ceramic?

Just ordered the optimum no rinse wash. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks. Sorry for all the newbie questions!

would a ppf wrap provide the same benefit as ceramic?

Just ordered the optimum no rinse wash. Anyone have experience with that?

A wrap is different (clear bra or vinyl wrap). That simply changes and protects the color and protects from small chips. You still typically need a good ceramic coat on top of the wrap to keep it clean. If you want to do it right. Wrap the car with car bra (at least the front) AND put a ceramic coat on. Best to have a pro do it unless you are comfortable with paint correction with a DA polisher. Then use the foam gun people have been talking about every two weeks (yes, you can use a regular garden hose). At that point, it only takes 5 minutes to do a quick microfiber mitt wash (one or two bucket method depending on how dirty the car really is). In reality, it will never take you only 10 minutes since that is about how long it is to set up and put away. Id figure 20 minutes minimum but your car will look great 90% of the time. We could get into the details of true detailing but that is a true 60 minute time suck of your life (if that is not your thing). Lots of good youtube videos on how to do a "maintenance wash" (the one that doesnt take 3 hours). Check out "Pan the Organizer" on youtube. He is the best IMO for the newbie and experts alike. He has a very good "maintenance wash" video (although, he says his maintenance washes take an hour, you can cut out some of the steps and make it 20-30 minutes). You will be the envy of your neighborhood!

• Helpful
Reactions: Protect1989
A wrap is different (clear bra or vinyl wrap). That simply changes and protects the color and protects from small chips. You still typically need a good ceramic coat on top of the wrap to keep it clean. If you want to do it right. Wrap the car with car bra (at least the front) AND put a ceramic coat on. Best to have a pro do it unless you are comfortable with paint correction with a DA polisher. Then use the foam gun people have been talking about every two weeks (yes, you can use a regular garden hose). At that point, it only takes 5 minutes to do a quick microfiber mitt wash (one or two bucket method depending on how dirty the car really is). In reality, it will never take you only 10 minutes since that is about how long it is to set up and put away. Id figure 20 minutes minimum but your car will look great 90% of the time. We could get into the details of true detailing but that is a true 60 minute time suck of your life (if that is not your thing). Lots of good youtube videos on how to do a "maintenance wash" (the one that doesnt take 3 hours). Check out "Pan the Organizer" on youtube. He is the best IMO for the newbie and experts alike. He has a very good "maintenance wash" video (although, he says his maintenance washes take an hour, you can cut out some of the steps and make it 20-30 minutes). You will be the envy of your neighborhood!

Also, protip, pick up a good pH neutral foaming soap (Like from Chemical guys). You never want to use Dawn dishwashing soap, as it will strip off waxes and sealants that you put on to protect the car. Those pH neutral foaming soaps are made to be used many times over without causing any removal of sealants or ceramic coatings

I can wash* my X easily in 10 minutes. Use a microfiber mitt on the end of an extension pole.

1. Hose down car to get off most of the loose stuff and prep for scrub.
2. Go over car quickly with mitt & soapy water. Use the mitt on pole to make it a 5 minute job.
(use a two bucket system to quickly rinse the mitt between dips).
3. Hose off the suds.
4. Water blade off the standing water. (Use little pressure to reduce possible scratches).
5. Finish with a soft microfiber water absorbing cloth.

* Does not include detailing wheels. I can give the wheels/tires a quick clean with a separate drying cloth.
Some feel a silicone water blade can induce microscratches, but do not see this on my White car.
When I want a better job, I will use Wash Wax All as an extra step before final dry. Gives it more shine and some protection, but takes 5 minutes more.

Optimum no-rinse (ONR) for a rinseless wash or you can look into one of the waterless products available such as elite finish "Washmist". Neither of these two are appropriate if your vehicle is really dirty and work best if you have either a PPF/ceramic on the car already./

Reactions: mark95476
I found this video for hand washing specifically a model Y. Are there other videos that people recommend which give a good overview for hand washing Teslas? Does everyone agree with the materials he uses?

I like using my foam cannon but it's quite a bit of extra work to get the pressure washer and deal with the hoses and cleanup so I only use it for a deep wash. I prefer to bucket wash and if you really want to cut down your car wash chores you can do frequent dusting with a California Duster and then use a quick detailer spray from Chemical Guys. ONR works good, too. The quick detailers are good for removing droppings, bugs and other stains.

Foam cannon with pressure washer is something I started last summer on the other cars but didn't realize I should let it sit for a bit and let the foam work. Going to try that next time. Also, I've had good luck with a local touchless manual car wash where you do all of the work. For about $5-7, depending how fast you move around the car, it does a really good job. Have to be careful with the pressure however.