Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best reliable SSD for Sentry on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cabin Overheat Protection is to protect ALL of your electronics. Most of which cost far more to replace than some $10 throw-away external USB drive you're so hung up on. The default is on from the factory but I guess you know more than Tesla engineers about these types of things... right? If you disable that to save a buck or two a month on energy it's you who is the genius.

Not sure why you're attacking me personally & being rude considering it's pretty clear that you have no idea what you're talking about on this subject in this thread. On the other hand, I've worked in the IT industry at various capacities over the last few decades and have untold time deploying, optimizing and trouble shooting the exact devices of which you speak. Never mind that you clearly know nothing other than random spec sheets you Google'd up.

Buying a drive type based solely on being worried about a couple of degrees while simultaneously disabling the cabin heat overprotection of a computer on wheels that costs tens of thousands of dollars has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum. Good thing you bought that drive that can take a couple of degrees more since it's the only piece of electronics in the car. /sarcasm

Sorry I helped. Enjoy your USB drive champ.

It uses air conditioning to cool down Cabin, that is all it does, most of us only has usb flash drive in Cabin, just buy usb flash drive that works like 60 degrees and no need to burn car battery for air conditioning to make SSD works.

It uses air conditioning to cool down Cabin, that is all it does, most of us only has usb flash drive in Cabin, just buy usb flash drive that works like 60 degrees and no need to burn car battery for air conditioning to make SSD works.

This cool down cabin mode can turn on air condition for 12 hours, that can be like 50% if your car battery or more. No one wants to attack you, just your mind set is too special. Of course Tesla turn it on by default so people need to pay them more often for supercharging.

This cool down cabin mode can turn on air condition for 12 hours, that can be like 50% if your car battery or more. No one wants to attack you, just your mind set is too special. Of course Tesla turn it on by default so people need to pay them more often for supercharging.
You really need to stop presenting made up BS numbers as fact. Others may read this crap and think that it's even remotely true. You know nothing about SSDs and it's pretty clear that you don't even know anything about your own car. I was genuinely done with this thread until you dropped this massive load of bovine excrement on the world.

Over 50% of your cars battery to cool the cabin for 12hrs?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. As someone who car camps in Teslas regularly both in hot and cold climates, the common usage measured in range is typically 10-15 miles per night. I've seen as long as 7 miles in some cases. That's over 8 hours of keeping the cabin at less than 70°F which requires far, far, FAR more energy than to keep the cabin under 100/95/90°F.

If your car is using over 50% of it's battery pack for cabin overheat protection then you either have a battery pack capable of only 20 miles of range at 100% SoC or you have a serious problem and need to have your car looked at. I'm not sure that the HVAC systems in these cars are even capable of using that much energy if they could run at 100% duty cycle for 12hrs w/o melting down.

This idea that Tesla enables Cabin Overheat Protection by default to make more profit on Supercharging is one of the funniest things you've said yet in a running list of knee-slappers.

You should seriously quit while you're behind and I'll just chalk up much of what I'm reading as a language barrier issue to give you the credit of the doubt. You should spend a lot more time reading posts than replying to them if your desire is to actually better your knowledge on these topics.

Classic case of: "It's better to remain silent and let them think you a fool than speak and remove all doubt"

Reactions: tangible1
You really need to stop presenting made up BS numbers as fact. Others may read this crap and think that it's even remotely true. You know nothing about SSDs and it's pretty clear that you don't even know anything about your own car. I was genuinely done with this thread until you dropped this massive load of bovine excrement on the world.

Over 50% of your cars battery to cool the cabin for 12hrs?! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. As someone who car camps in Teslas regularly both in hot and cold climates, the common usage measured in range is typically 10-15 miles per night. I've seen as long as 7 miles in some cases. That's over 8 hours of keeping the cabin at less than 70°F which requires far, far, FAR more energy than to keep the cabin under 100/95/90°F.

If your car is using over 50% of it's battery pack for cabin overheat protection then you either have a battery pack capable of only 20 miles of range at 100% SoC or you have a serious problem and need to have your car looked at. I'm not sure that the HVAC systems in these cars are even capable of using that much energy if they could run at 100% duty cycle for 12hrs w/o melting down.

This idea that Tesla enables Cabin Overheat Protection by default to make more profit on Supercharging is one of the funniest things you've said yet in a running list of knee-slappers.

You should seriously quit while you're behind and I'll just chalk up much of what I'm reading as a language barrier issue to give you the credit of the doubt. You should spend a lot more time reading posts than replying to them if your desire is to actually better your knowledge on these topics.

Classic case of: "It's better to remain silent and let them think you a fool than speak and remove all doubt"

How much battery it uses is totally depend on how hot outside. I don’t think you were camping in Arizona or somewhere that hot.

How much battery it uses is totally depend on how hot outside. I don’t think you were camping in Arizona or somewhere that hot.
It's funny you mention that because one of the many times we've done that was LITERALLY Arizona. Scottsdale for one of the more recent trips to be exact. The daytime high that day was 114°F. Even in a worst-case-type-scenario where the delta between ambient air tempt and internal target temp is ~40°F the energy consumption wasn't even close to 1/10th the BS you're spewing as if you have any idea what you're talking about. In that same scenario, Cabin Overheat Protection would have had a delta between ambient and target of about 10°F, give or take. Explain how a target temperature of about 25% less spread uses 10x more energy. Nothing you say makes sense. Math & thermal dynamics aren't an opinion or just some crap you make up. You really should just quit while you're behind.