Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best reliable SSD for Sentry on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3/23 MYLR does not have USB in glovebox. Will plugging my drive into one of the USBc ports in the console work to record dashcam?
Wait so you are saying when you took delivery of the MYLR they didn't include a USB in the glovebox? That sucks....I would have submitted a service ticket and I am sure a mobile service van would have came out to give you the USB. In terms of using a USB drive/SSD for the dashcam, you need to plug in the USB drive into the glovebox USB port and let the Tesla car format the drive to the correct folder structure it needs to record dashcam/sentry.

The 2 USB-C ports in the front do not contain data transmission.

Reactions: UoMDeacon
My MYP is being delivered Thursday, I was looking at SSD options but seems that for a more cost effective solution (only needed for sentry and dashcam duties) - then it seems getting the below would be a good replacement for the one that comes with the car?

USB card reader - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDDR-B531-GN6NN-MobileMate-USB-Reader/dp/B07G5JV2B5
SanDisk 128GB Max Endurance Micro SDXC card - Amazon.co.uk
Sandisk also has a High Endurance MicoSDXC card for less money. Either Endurance card would be a good choice. Samsung offers a Pro Endurance card, now also available in 256GB.

I have been using the Sandisk Mobilemate reader with the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance microSD card for Dashcam and Sentry mode recordings for 3 years with no issues.

Reactions: jimmyca69
I use the following combination and it has worked okay so far :
- ORICO 2.5" USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5 Inch SATA HDD and SSD[Optimized for SSD, Support 4TB UASP SATA III] Tool Free- Transparent (2139U3) $15
- Timetec 512GB SSD 3D NAND TLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch 7mm (0.28") 400TBW Read Speed Up to 530 MB/s SLC Cache Performance Boost Internal Solid State Drive for PC Computer Desktop and Laptop (512GB) $35

I get about 5 sentry recordings everyday and so far it has filled up several hundred clips on the ssd. The important part is to buy a nice enclosure where the cable fits nice and snug. Cheap enclosures may have loose cable fittings which will cause major problems with connection and recordings.

I bought 2 sets so that I can swap units when needed. I sometimes want to watch and scroll through videos using PC to see who dinged my door when not noticing immediate damage. Having a second unit always ensures you will be recording and protected.

Is it not possible to tap into the "12V" battery somewhere ?

On my previous car it was very easy to install a dashcam as there were a USB socket in the top of the cover for the camera on the windscreen. Wish more cars had a USB socket in this position.

I had the camera mounted higher than the one in the picture and the wire tucked away behind the plastic piece.

I am certainly going to put this camera into the Tesla, can't have to many cameras.

PS. This USB socket was also only energized when the car was "on"

1ec93748-7fbf-4323-9be6-898a61ee4c42-jpeg.7515
I can’t believe at least one manufacturer is thinking about the customers. What was your car model?

I can’t believe at least one manufacturer is thinking about the customers. What was your car model?
Chinese manufacturer "MG"

In reality this is just SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) using the "good" old British brand MG.

Was a nice enough car until some muppet decided to total it when it was only 4 months old.

Wait times for a new one was 1 year, and then Tesla lowered their prices and we decided that with the price cut, the difference was not that big anymore, and we wanted a car earlier :)

Have a dashcam of the crash actually, some day i might get around to sending it to WhamBamDashCam on YT :)

You would want to use an Endurance type memory device or SSD for longest life. Samsung sells a line of Pro Endurance micro SD cards. Sandisk markets a High Endurance and also a Max Endurance line of micro SD cards. You would use a card reader such as the Sandisk MobileMate.
I purchased recently the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC card & the MobileMate reader. We still have the car give errors about being unable to read the Sentry Mode drive while the car is parked. It usually begins working once we start driving. So getting rid of the SSD didn't solve things.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I purchased recently the SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC card & the MobileMate reader. We still have the car give errors about being unable to read the Sentry Mode drive while the car is parked. It usually begins working once we start driving. So getting rid of the SSD didn't solve things.
2020 LRMY; 3 years + using the Samsung 128GB microSD card and Sandisk MobileMate reader for Sentry/Dashcam with no issues.

I've been using the Samsung T5 SSD since July 2019 with the Jeda USB Hub - and the SSD just died; not bad considering how long it lasted; the Jeda Hub fits in really tight with my 2018 Model 3.

After doing some research - it seems like the 1TB Tesla SSD is a steal at $350, considering its operating temperature (between -40˚F - 185˚F); most portable SSDs don't operate in this range - I'm cheap and ended up ordering the 2TB Crucial x10 Pro (with an operating temperature of 32˚ - 158˚F) for about $150 on Amazon, hoping for 4+yrs out of this one too).

I've been using the Samsung T5 SSD since July 2019 with the Jeda USB Hub - and the SSD just died; not bad considering how long it lasted; the Jeda Hub fits in really tight with my 2018 Model 3.

After doing some research - it seems like the 1TB Tesla SSD is a steal at $350, considering its operating temperature (between -40˚F - 185˚F); most portable SSDs don't operate in this range - I'm cheap and ended up ordering the 2TB Crucial x10 Pro (with an operating temperature of 32˚ - 158˚F) for about $150 on Amazon, hoping for 4+yrs out of this one too).
The high speeds of SSDs are superfluous in a Tesla because the usb port is only usb-2 (see below). OTOH, the higher heat generated by SSDs is a serious detriment. My Samsung T5 died in under 2 years. This was not from wear. I believe the early death was due to temperature (here in the New Mexico desert). I do a fair amount of computer working using usb drives and this was the first Samsung usb drive that has failed on me.

For the car, I've started using high endurance micro sdcards like the Samsung Pro Endurance and the Samsung Pro Ultimate. They have a wide operating temperature range and they generate much less heat than SSDs. These cards are designed for the kind of constant video writing the car does. The tradeoff is they don't have the high speed of SSDs but it's not needed. A higher speed device makes it more convenient to download all the video from the drive but IMO reliability is much more important.

You can get a 256G Pro Endurance card for $22 or a 256G Pro Ultimate card with a usb adapter for $33.

Here is an excerpt from the Owner's Manual:

USB Requirements for Recording Videos

USB 2.0 compatible. If using a USB 3.0 drive, it must also support USB 2.0.

From this I concluded the USB port is usb-2 and not the faster usb-3.

After my T5 died, I now keep at least one spare usb drive in my glovebox. It's a handy replacement in case of failure but I also plan to use it if there is an incident I want to keep a record off. I can safely remove the current drive and plug in a spare. Then I don't have to worry about the incident getting over-written so I won't need to go to trouble of undeleting to search the drive for the files I want.

Reactions: UoMDeacon
For low power draw, look at SK Hynix P31, P41, and Crucial P3 SSDs. I have the first one and it's very low power draw and runs very cool on my Framework laptop. Crucial P3 is made with QLC cells IIRC, not necessarily the best in terms of longevity / total bytes written rating. But you can find them on sale for half of what the P41 runs for the same size. Of course all of the above will need a USB to nvme adapter as well, which may up the power draw a tiny bit.

For low power draw, look at SK Hynix P31, P41, and Crucial P3 SSDs. I have the first one and it's very low power draw and runs very cool on my Framework laptop. Crucial P3 is made with QLC cells IIRC, not necessarily the best in terms of longevity / total bytes written rating. But you can find them on sale for half of what the P41 runs for the same size. Of course all of the above will need a USB to nvme adapter as well, which may up the power draw a tiny bit.
NVME bandwidth is over 100 times greater than the bandwidth of the usb-2 port provided in the car. Higher bandwidth is almost always associated with higher energy draw (hotter) and higher cost. I have a Hynix P31 1T but I use it in my computer systems not in my car. I love how fast it is!

Using an SSD in your car is just throwing money away in order to get something that runs hotter and is less reliable than the much less expensive mini sdcards I mentioned above. For example the P31 has a max operating temperature of 158F while the two sdcards I suggested go up to 185F. Even if your glovebox never gets up to 158F, running at close to the max temperature usually shortens the lifespan.

For usb storage in your car, high endurance sdcards are the right tool for the job. On top of that, they are cheaper and smaller than SSDs.

The one exception might be if you want to frequently download the entire contents of your usb drive. In that case the higher download bandwidth might be worth the higher cost and shorter lifetime.

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
Hi all

I have looked at a few videos etc and I am unclear of what to get for my sentry. The USB drive that was supplied by Tesla is going to die pretty soon from what I know and I want to replace it with something with a bit more life.
I am thinking of a 1TB SSD drive for the sentry mode to sit in the glove compartment as thats where the data for sentry is stored, my 2022 Model Y AMD does not have data in the center console.

Can anyone please recommend a drive that has worked well, does not head, no issues with data access / speed etc?

Is there an impact on battery more than using a regular thumb drive or is it the same?

Please let me know so I can purchase one.

The USB-A stick supplied by Tesla is a high endurance Samsung Bar Plus. It will not die anytime soon. They have 5 year warranty. I have attached the spec sheet so you can see it is built to withstand extreme temperatures. The memory used is meant for many read/writes too, if you read very carefully and compare to other Samsung products for video recording you'll see it is the same memory...hence why Tesla uses it. It's a GREAT DEAL. The 128GB is $16 and the 256GB is $20. I've had my Tesla supplied usb-a for 1.5 years, no issue. I have a 2022 Model Y as well. I live in HOT California where my cabin gets 140F so issues during summer. Save your $$$, you do not need an expensive SSD.

Don't believe the nonstop flood of fear that your USB-A will fail quickly. Maybe in the past Tesla applied substandard USB stick but not these days. I notice the fear is spread by people who get paid as affiliates when devices are sold. If anything, replace the USB-A when it breaks. Not before. Now if you need the SSD for other reasons like you want to throw tons of music on it and setup a music partition in addition to sentry partition, well that's a good reason to buy new hardware.

Attachments

• samsung_bar_plus_usba_tesla_usb_oem.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
Don't believe the nonstop flood of fear that your USB-A will fail quickly.
I think part of the reason for this is that if you try to save twice in secession, the original saved video may not end up in the SavedClips folder and won't be accessible on the Tesla screen. People think it's gone but it's not. The last hour of video is still in the RecentClips folder and is accessible if you stop recording, safely remove the device, and plug it into a phone or computer. If you drive for more than a hour before you stop recording on the device then you may need to do a big undelete to find the video you want. This is a royal pain.

I keep a spare device in my glovebox so I can safely remove the current device shortly after an incident and replace it with the spare. I also keep a spare spare in the glovebox just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54