Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-refresh 2021 Model X: Dashcam/Sentry USB solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a 2021 pre-refresh Model X, given the limitations of USB ports in the center console (with one port used for wireless charging and limited physical space), what solutions are people using to plug in an SSD or another USB stick for Sentry/Dash cam recording? I currently have a USB stick with music on it in the open position in the center console. Is there something I'm not thinking of that would make camera recording more stealth or easier to connect? I suppose I could combine music and camera recording on the same SSD drive, but it isn't very stealth in the center console...Any suggestions would be appreciated...

For a 2021 pre-refresh Model X, given the limitations of USB ports in the center console (with one port used for wireless charging and limited physical space), what solutions are people using to plug in an SSD or another USB stick for Sentry/Dash cam recording? I currently have a USB stick with music on it in the open position in the center console. Is there something I'm not thinking of that would make camera recording more stealth or easier to connect? I suppose I could combine music and camera recording on the same SSD drive, but it isn't very stealth in the center console...Any suggestions would be appreciated...
I used to use a 256GB Sandisk stick, that was very fast. Whatever you choose needs to have a USB3 interface and a fast disk. You do not need a lot of storage. I partitioned 16 GB for music, the rest went to sentry mode. It worked fine, and I never ran out of space, even recoding six video streams. In my new X, I use a Raspberry Pi Zero, running a freeware package called TeslaUSB I think. It looks like a disk drive to the car. But where I pull in my garage, it logs on to my Synology NAS and transfer all the recordings up to the NAS where I have more than 20 TB of available space. I don't do it often, but I can see the media partition on the Pi and move content around as I see fit.

The stick, sticks out from the usb plug a bit, but it is not that bad. You could use a short extension and get the drive up under the cover somewhere.

I removed the charging, since my phone was too big, used that port for the memory stick.

Ok, thanks. I got one of the Samsung USB drives that looks the same as the one Tesla sells, and put two partitions on it, one for dashcam/sentry and the other for music. Tested it out and so far it works pretty well...I wanted to keep the phone charging function and my phone does fit...We'll see how this works...

Reactions: Smh2210