Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best tint to block UV rays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my upcoming Model Y, the #1 concern I have is UV rays.

Any tinting experts understand how it handles out of the box and what solutions provide the maximum UV protection? I am more concerned about UV than heat - I have very fair skin and a family history of skin cancer - so I'd like to set my car up to handle this as best as possible. I can always turn the AC up for heat.

Any tinting experts understand how it handles out of the box and what solutions provide the maximum UV protection? I am more concerned about UV than heat - I have very fair skin and a family history of skin cancer - so I'd like to set my car up to handle this as best as possible. I can always turn the AC up for heat.
The glass is already tinted to block UV

The glass is already tinted to block UV
The glass roof has ultraviolet and infrared protection; however, the others do not. Also, it's not clear what the technical specifications are. I do not believe those numbers are readily available.

OP, if you're looking for maximum UV protection you'll want to look into a high quality film. Prestige Film Technologies, 3M, Llumar, XPEL all make high quality window film.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am curious as to the level of protection the roof has. And am now considering getting tint for the remaining windows to block UV.

I was curious as to the best UV blockage per dollar material out there.

HI SpecialDad,

HIgh percentage UV blockage (99%+) has been covered by (dare I say) all brands of tint for a long time. The new focus is IR (infrared) rejection.

Check out this spreadsheet and notice the UV protection percentages on all flavors of XPEL brand tint - https://www.xpel.com/web-assets/downloads/XPEL-PRIME-Spec-Sheet-USA-V2-1.pdf

I'm not sure if you're concerned about UV rays on the interior components or occupants but as a newcomer to the Y, I would advise to understand/notice how high into the roofline the windshield extends into the Y cabin. I feel a lot of heat on my upper body when the sun is in front or above the windshield line. A lot of folks tint the windshield on this car with a light tint% but it gives more UV/IR peace of mind for the occupants.

If your Y comes with dyed back door and rear hatch windows, this has no sun protection benefits (just looks) so you will want to tint all windows if trying to block the UV from all angles. Bonus by getting IR tint as well as you get UV plus also heat reductions.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I am curious as to the level of protection the roof has. And am now considering getting tint for the remaining windows to block UV.

I was curious as to the best UV blockage per dollar material out there.
High UV rejection ratings (both UVA and UVB) are table stakes at this point. I would focus on TSER, IRR, VLT and film color (personal preference). Also, when you begin comparing technical specifications, be sure to note the manufacturer's stated electromagnetic radiation wavelength to ensure an apples to apples comparison.

sharing. I'm also doing research for my upcoming MYLR.

found this UVA/UVB meter test on another thread. Audience suggests that all factory windows come with UVA/UVB and IR protection.

I'm still gonna tint my front windows to match the privacy glass but I'll contemplating skipping the back windows and roof based on this info.

Congrats on your MY btw!

sharing. I'm also doing research for my upcoming MYLR.

found this UVA/UVB meter test on another thread. Audience suggests that all factory windows come with UVA/UVB and IR protection.

I'm still gonna tint my front windows to match the privacy glass but I'll contemplating skipping the back windows and roof based on this info.

Congrats on your MY btw!
Dude, never crossed my mind there might be a meter to register something like that.

Totally awesome. Might do that first, see what my results are, and then go with a game plan from there.

Thank you!!!!

Reactions: Rennei