Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Way to Delay Pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fine people! I have had my Tesla Model S LR on HOLD for almost a month.. Hasn't been cancelled yet going to purchase click ready this weekend tho. Its amazing that the price has jumped almost 9k since February when I first ordered.

pics below... First I called them and told them I was out of the country military.
Welp just like that delivery this week....

Attachments

• IMG_9953.jpg
    IMG_9953.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 106
As I said upthread. Tesla's singular objective is to deliver every car possible before the end of their quarter. They will have zero sympathy for any reason to delay delivery into July. They don't care about your state rebate eligibility or anything else.

Reactions: aerodyne
Sorry I'm slow.

If I can't hold more than three days beyond my last date of delivery they provided I have to reject?

Yes, or loose your deposit and place in line.
Can I reject for any reason or no reason?

Better to have a reason, even if made up.
They won't cancel my order?
After two reject, yes they will and you will loose the deposit.
What happens then?

Do I get the next VIN for my RN number?
You have to place a new order.

You will get a random VIN, certainly not the next sequential number. Probably a reject.

This info could change at any time, but is based on my recent experience and a certain Tesla source who does not want to be named.

Sorry I'm slow.

If I can't hold more than three days beyond my last date of delivery they provided I have to reject?

Can I reject for any reason or no reason?

They won't cancel my order?

What happens then?

Do I get the next VIN for my RN number?
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Pickup is tomorrow and I'm looking for creative ways to delay pickup.

I talked to Tesla ops and they said I could release the VIN and they would honor my original order date as my place in line. With that being said, he said it would likely take another 6-8 weeks for delivery. My concern is with the rate that people are buying EVs in Illinois, the rebate fund could be tapped out if getting a new VIN takes that long. It's worth a shot if you don't mind waiting but I already sold my car so I have no choice.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Pickup is tomorrow and I'm looking for creative ways to delay pickup.

I talked to Tesla ops and they said I could release the VIN and they would honor my original order date as my place in line. With that being said, he said it would likely take another 6-8 weeks for delivery. My concern is with the rate that people are buying EVs in Illinois, the rebate fund could be tapped out if getting a new VIN takes that long. It's worth a shot if you don't mind waiting but I already sold my car so I have no choice.
No way the rebate fund is exhausted in two months

This is where I'm at. Basically I might be out of town when my MYP is delivered. Kansas City is saying the 28th (or around there) it'll get there, and I'm going to be gone until the 5th of July. Tesla SA (I don't believe Kansas City) said it was somehow routed to Cleveland, Ohio and it might give me the buffer I need because it has to be rerouted.

They have also told me conflicting things, that they don't do POA's anymore, and that they do POA's but can't do it for trade-ins since a POA can't sign a POA. (sigh) So I guess I can't have a close friend pick it up for me.

So here goes my questions.

1. If I delay delivery, is there an average turnaround time that has been seen? I understand the demand but does it throw me to the back of the queue and I do the whole waiting thing over again?
2. Will I have to resign my MVPA and redo my financing? I'm assuming I'll just resign the MVPA and they'll send stuff off to USAA for the financing.
3. Why me? Like, the hell man. I rarely ever go on vacation, and the ONE time I'm going the car comes a freaking month early.

Looks like I have a VIN today on a white/white Plaid with 21s and no FSD but there’s no way in hell I’m taking delivery before end of quarter. I’m in the middle of closing on a HELOC so my bank won’t take too kindly to seeing a credit pull or a big car loan right now. I’ll have to put the order on hold.

As a data point for all here, I ordered a Model Y LR for my wife at the end of February 2021. Of course our VIN came up on March 26 (end of quarter) but I wasn’t ready because of being in the middle of a house refi. Tesla begged and pleaded for me to take it, I’m sure to meet their quarterly numbers, but I put it on hold. My 2nd VIN came up on April 24 and I took it. The fit and finish was decent and required one trip to service center for some interior trim adjustment and that’s about it.

I hope if I put my Plaid on hold right now it only takes 3-4 weeks to get a 2nd VIN. We’ll see.