Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Winter Tire Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

So Winter is approaching fast and it’s time to spend more money :( now on winter tires.

Having lived overseas for the last 5 years where winter tires are not a thing I am trying to determine what to get. I have narrowed it down to the suggested

Pirelli​

235/40 R19 96V Winter Sottozero 3 XL FSL T0 ncs M+S​

Made for the Tesla as identified by T0. But I need some rims.

What does everybody do, do you get a second set of rims or just swap the tires? If so do I need to get original rims or are copies ok? Assume they just need to fit the tire size.

Does anyone know, if I just keep my regular rims and swap the tires, can I get the tires from a cheaper website and just bring them to a Migros place to swap?

Thanks!

Hi All,

So Winter is approaching fast and it’s time to spend more money :( now on winter tires.

Having lived overseas for the last 5 years where winter tires are not a thing I am trying to determine what to get. I have narrowed it down to the suggested

Pirelli​

What does everybody do, do you get a second set of rims or just swap the tires? If so do I need to get original rims or are copies ok? Assume they just need to fit the tire size.

Does anyone know, if I just keep my regular rims and swap the tires, can I get the tires from a cheaper website and just bring them to a Migros place to swap?

Thanks

Hi All,

Pirelli​

Thanks!
It all depends on your situation....

We ALWAYS have dedicated Snow/Wheel tires for all the vehicles we own as I don't like having tires swapped over on wheels and if you have the space to store the dedicated winter/summer setups GO FOR IT!

With that being said.....we elected to go with dedicated wheels (rims) and tires for winter. We wanted to try the Nokians but unfortunately they were not available here in Colorado when it was time for us to do the swap/purchase. We have used the Bridgestone Blizzaks for years on two of our cars and this time we wanted a change. Not so much due to performance but the Blizzaks were not rated in the XL category. Probably not an issue but something we considered.

We JUST went with the Michelin X-ICE Snow tires and the least expensive wheels that worked for us. It is a ritual each year for ME to swap over wheels when the first snow is falling (or close to that). Typically here just around Halloween or thereabouts.

Since our new M3LR is a daily driver/utility car for transportation....we went with this for the wheels that looks "NICE" according to my wife but were not really expensive. Something CLOSE to stock (with aero covers off) and was inexpensive.

We paired them with the Michelin X-Ice Snow tires as they have the XL rating (necessary? Not sure but our choice).

IF YOU DO A DEDICATED SET and need TPMS sensors (you will if not reusing them which is a potential added cost).....get your TPMS sensors!

Go with either TESLA or a vendor that supports what you need! In our case, we have a 2022 that uses Bluetooth tech....we went with MODEL+ and could not be happier! Less expensive, same as Tesla, in-stock, fast shipping and incredible support! @MODEL+

Here is a link to Danny's website for the TPMS sensors:

We both like the look of the "gunmetal" as it matches our M3LR colors and is almost an exact match for the stock 18" Aero wheels. An added benefit is that when the tire fits the wheel it has a "better" profile compared to stock. What does that mean? To us it has more tire "outside of the wheel" to prevent curb rash.

We will see what happens! So far after about 500 miles now....the tires are noisier than stock all season Michelins that came with the car. NOT anything we complain about at all but there IS a difference. That is to be expected with dedicated snow tires.

Just my thoughts! Tonight we will have 3-5" of snow and will see how they perform.

Attached are a couple of photos from the install last week. Please excuse the markings....they are from the tire lube that was put on.

Attachments

• 20221031_105426(1).jpg
    20221031_105426(1).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221031_105336.jpg
    20221031_105336.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I just tried ordering the Pirelli Sottozero 3 with some ~$200 a piece rims from Discount Tire and the price came out to be $2479 not including tax. The link above for TPMS sensors does not work. The TPMS sensors from Tesla are $95 a piece. This means my best option is to buy the Tesla Gemini winter tire package at $2750. Does anyone know if there is a better option if I want to stick with the Pirelli's?

I just tried ordering the Pirelli Sottozero 3 with some ~$200 a piece rims from Discount Tire and the price came out to be $2479 not including tax. The link above for TPMS sensors does not work. The TPMS sensors from Tesla are $95 a piece. This means my best option is to buy the Tesla Gemini winter tire package at $2750. Does anyone know if there is a better option if I want to stick with the Pirelli's?

Sorry for not seeing this. Try looking up Model+ in google. You will come up with MODEL+

Look under Programs then Model 3 wheels and then you should see the link for the TPMS sensors.

MODEL 3 Wheels & Accessories