Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of home delivery option!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There wasn't anything in the car. I walked up and talked to the guy sitting at the table. I did not find him particularly motivated. When he saw that I had a checklist he stated that they normally don't allow this type of inspection. I did not take the bait. I told him I would not finalize the payment until I had fully inspected the car. So he walked out with me to the car and used a key card to unlock the vehicle and then went back to his table.

Yeah, that PLAID thing bothers me too. I changed the password when I got home. Thanks for pointing that out. I hope people reading this thread will do the same.
Another thing you can do help protect your account(s) is set up transaction alerts for all of your bank accounts. Set the withdrawal or debit alert to a relatively low value, i.e. $25, because many times fraudsters will put through a test transaction to see if the account is still active before processing a larger debit transaction. (I'm not suggesting that Plaid is in the business of committing bank fraud or wire fraud but they do suck up all of your account information (ABA routing information, all linked accounts and credit cards associated with the credentials you provide.) Someday, if Plaid is hacked (don't say it can't happen), as with other companies that have been hacked Plaid will probably not immediately tell the financial world or their customers about the attack until they have assessed the extent of the information loss and damage. If you get an alert on your phone about an unexpected debit transaction you can immediately take action to stop additional fraud activity.

Believe OP said that Tesla gave him a 6 hour window for home delivery, but that he was not home at that time when delivered.
If OP was home to accept delivery he could easily have inspected both inside and outside of car.

Perhaps it is not the home delivery that caused the problem, but not being home when it was scheduled to be dropped off.

Yah I wasnt home.. 6hrs is a pretty long window to sit and stare our the window lol. Had I known that I had to accept delivery without entering the vehicle if I wasnt home during delivery I would of just waited. At the end of the day it's all fixable stuff (which they fixed) but there certainly isn't any transparency in what's going on clearly. At the end of the day would this experience cause me to not buy a tesla in the future ? Of course not . Just a word of caution for those of you that choose a similar delivery option

There wasn't anything in the car. I walked up and talked to the guy sitting at the table. I did not find him particularly motivated. When he saw that I had a checklist he stated that they normally don't allow this type of inspection. I did not take the bait. I told him I would not finalize the payment until I had fully inspected the car. So he walked out with me to the car and used a key card to unlock the vehicle and then went back to his table.
Thanks for the follow up. Yeah, that's what I suspected also. They didn't have the paperwork in the car yet, so they would have to open the car up for you anyways, so it's just a question of doing it now or later. I agree there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consistency in how they are doing things.

Tool delivery of my MY on 12/24 ! So excited to receive it but did have a bad experience. Basically I opted for the home delivery option for which I got a 6 hour delivery window. Of course the car was delivered while I was out so when I came home it was on the driveway (they texted me in the morning to confirm the address and preferred delivery location of street or driveway).
The only way to get into the car was the go online into my tesla account and hit accept delivery...which is where I believe the problem is. Though everything looked great outside I had to accept delivery without seeing the interior ! Well after accepting and having the doors unlock I found that the passenger side seat was broken :(. Took me 4 days to get it resolved and that included 7 phone calls and lots of arguing. Basically they told me to book an service appointment .. which was only available 17 days out which meant I couldn't drive with anyone in my car for over two weeks as the seat was pitched all they way forward and stuck! Anyhow I finally talked to a someone at the service center and he said just bring the car in with no appointment. I did that and things worked out as they fixed it same day and I got it back.. but this whole accepting delivery without seeing the actual car is kind of BS in my opinion

A seat, a passenger seat no less, really? Consider yourself lucky.

And you should have been there during the 6 hour window that you agreed to.

Next !!!

Reactions: jc368
Having a broken passenger seat in a car that is meant to also take the family around when an adult can't sit in it isn't nearly as bad as it could not been of course but still inconvenient . Had to run one errand in the 6 hours (they texted me the morning of asking to do early delivery and no one needed to be there etc) so missed them by no more than 10 mins.

Regardless as I said earlier , this is more of a word of caution because it CAN be worse and I feel like home delivery like this if others were opting for the option should be done with all the info

Ah so if you're not available when the car is dropped off, the driver just takes off? I was afraid I might have to do the paperwork with the driver present as I might be in a meeting when the car arrives.
Tesla will leave the paperwork and the key cards in the trunk with the vehicle unlocked. If you can't be home you may want to ask someone you trust to remove these items and lock the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
Tesla will leave the paperwork and the key cards in the trunk with the vehicle unlocked. If you can't be home you may want to ask someone you trust to remove these items and lock the vehicle.
Thank you! I assume if I don't make the final payment in advance everything will be locked, and I'll have to make the payment before being able to access the car?

Thank you! I assume if I don't make the final payment in advance everything will be locked, and I'll have to make the payment before being able to access the car?
You will have to make final payment before delivery unless you arrange in advance, decide to pay the outstanding balance using a cashier's check. (I accepted home delivery of my 2020 Model Y on a Sunday and sent my cashier's check as final payment via FedEx prepaid envelope to Tesla along with the signed paperwork to on the following Monday.)

• Informative
You will have to make final payment before delivery unless you arrange in advance, decide to pay the outstanding balance using a cashier's check. (I accepted home delivery of my 2020 Model Y on a Sunday and sent my cashier's check as final payment via FedEx prepaid envelope to Tesla along with the signed paperwork to on the following Monday.)
Thank you very much for sharing - really helped me get mentally prepared for all scenarios! I took delivery today. The driver left as soon as he got there, and I did everything on the app, but there was a piece of paper with a QR code, saying to scan the QR code to contact Tesla if there is any issue and someone would arrive in 30 minutes. There was no physical paperwork inside the car - the paperwork you mentioned may be required for particular states.

Thank you very much for sharing - really helped me get mentally prepared for all scenarios! I took delivery today. The driver left as soon as he got there, and I did everything on the app, but there was a piece of paper with a QR code, saying to scan the QR code to contact Tesla if there is any issue and someone would arrive in 30 minutes. There was no physical paperwork inside the car - the paperwork you mentioned may be required for particular states.
Good to know. You should have received a cardboard Tesla wallet with 2 key cards.

From me (in California) there was DMV paperwork for the registration and a FedEx envelope to send it back. Were you able to sign electronically for that perhaps? There have been cases where registration paperwork was not submitted by Tesla (either due to owner not returning that signed paperwork or Tesla losing it) and then people have their temporary registration expire.

• Informative
From me (in California) there was DMV paperwork for the registration and a FedEx envelope to send it back. Were you able to sign electronically for that perhaps? There have been cases where registration paperwork was not submitted by Tesla (either due to owner not returning that signed paperwork or Tesla losing it) and then people have their temporary registration expire.

Hmm this got me thinking. I did sign some registration stuff on the app. Do you think this may be it?

AE10D4DC-888B-4A52-B31C-CDC891C77C1C.jpeg

Hmm this got me thinking. I did sign some registration stuff on the app. Do you think this may be it?

View attachment 816338
For me the papers I had to sign was the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262):
5.075 Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) - California DMV
That might be the Odometer Disclosure in your screenshot above.

Then a paper copy of Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397):
6.025 New Vehicle Sales by a California Dealer - California DMV
That might be the Title Application in your screenshot above.

You can download a copy of all the documents you signed if you go on a browser and login to your Tesla account, go to your car's page, and then the "Glovebox".

It's possible they have switched to all electronic signing, as I took delivery at end of 2020 so things may have changed since then. I didn't have the screen you showed when I took delivery. It only said I accept delivery and agree with the final motor vehicle purchase agreement (didn't have the Odometer Disclosure or Title Application electronically).

Last edited:
  • Helpful