Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of Scammers in this forum- got burned. [Expired]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And on top of that, if you are buying or selling to an unknown person, NEVER use Paypal "Friends and Family". ALWAYS use "Good and Services" which means the seller has to pay the 3% fee, but you both get Buyer and Seller protections if the items are never sent or the wrong items are sent. Scammers will ALWAYS try to get you to use Venmo or Zelle which has few or no protections at all for the buyers.

Several times when buying items from unknown people, I've volunteered to pay the extra 3% fee just for the protections Paypal offers (or sometimes 'split' the fee 1.5% each).
At that point one of two things happen: The seller is legit and sends you the item, or the seller is a scammer and backs out.

My point of view is, if you are offering something (of value) for sale, just buck up and pay the 3% fee as a cost of doing business, which protects EVERYONE. When someone says "Friends and Family only" that means either they're a scammer, or they're just cheap and don't want to pay the fee. It's not like TMC is charging you a listing fee or final value fee (which they should, IMHO).

Got scammed for $250 on Instagram.
IG account goes by the handle @tesla_partsman.
Saw a post about a wall charger for $250.
I messaged the account and sent $250 through Zelle.
Got an email from a "shipping" company with a tracking number.
Then a couple of weeks later, still no item delivered, shipping company said that I had to pay another $200 "Refundable Insurance Fee" and I can only pay through Zelle.
That's when I knew...I fxcked up!

Btw, the Zelle info was for:
Diana Cavazos (Tesla_Partsman) at (214) 601-5527

Posting here so that no one else gets scammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.