Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big dog in a Model 3 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any trouble putting a large dog (like a 100 pound Bernese Mt. Dog) in a Model 3 back seat? I assume it would fit, but also wondering about the window in the back since it doesn't roll down all the way -- and my dog likes to stick her head out the window.... Anyway, just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this and how it's worked out.

Thanks

Has anyone had any trouble putting a large dog (like a 100 pound Bernese Mt. Dog) in a Model 3 back seat? I assume it would fit, but also wondering about the window in the back since it doesn't roll down all the way -- and my dog likes to stick her head out the window.... Anyway, just wondering if anyone has real world experience with this and how it's worked out.

Thanks

I’ve had both my dogs in the backseat at the same time, a 90 pound yellow lab and a 45 pound catahoula. No issues with them fitting, there is plenty of room. They both can stick their heads out of the window without any problem. If you’ve got a giant breed like a great dane you may run into issues but that would be the case with most cars with a dog that size.

I highly recommend getting a dog hammock to protect the backseat and help contain all of the hair. There’s two or three threads about these: Model 3 Dog Hammock

8B329207-04D9-4635-A308-0A3D825E92F6.jpeg

A305D6B5-D186-4307-B30A-ADE29A30EDB3.jpeg

My lab mix is only about 50lbs, but what I like about the TM3 vs. my past car (3 series) is that the rear seat is very low - so she not only has the cushion, but can easily put her feet down on the floor without toppling over. I don't use a hammock though as it blocks the AC vents in the back (which my dog absolutely loves). Only odd thing is that sometimes the rear vents blow hot air... I'm not sure if that's b/c they don't sense a person in a rear seat, but I suspect that won't be a problem with a 100lb dog.

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
I don't use a hammock though as it blocks the AC vents in the back (which my dog absolutely loves).

Go with the windowed hammock from Orvis, it’s the one I have in my Model 3. Allows air flow from the rear vents. They’re more expensive than the cheaper ones you can find out there but the quality and durability is outstanding.

Orvis.com Mobile Site

Go with the windowed hammock from Orvis, it’s the one I have in my Model 3. Allows air flow from the rear vents. They’re more expensive than the cheaper ones you can find out there but the quality and durability is outstanding.

Orvis.com Mobile Site
Not a big fan. It exposes part of the front seats and the center console. If you have a monster like mine that is always sandy and wet this is not a good feature. Sounds like you have a very nice dog.

Orvis.com Mobile Site

+1

I have the Large and it fits well. 60 pound greyhound likes.

If you have a messy dog then get the non-windowed version.

Why would you allow your dog to stick his head out the window? That puts the dog in so much danger. The dog should be in a cage to help keep it safe if an accident happens. Anything else is not being a responsible pet owner.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dogs-Head-Out-the-Car-Window---A-Dangerous-Habit&id=3139630

I don't see a problem with it if you're just on local roads going 25 or 30 mph. I roll the windows up when I get on the highway, and they usually don't like sticking their heads out at 50+mph anyways.

Why would you allow your dog to stick his head out the window? That puts the dog in so much danger. The dog should be in a cage to help keep it safe if an accident happens. Anything else is not being a responsible pet owner.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dogs-Head-Out-the-Car-Window---A-Dangerous-Habit&id=3139630

I've been driving around local roads like this for several decades with various dogs and am careful and never had an issue. I'm sure it's not without some risk, but it's been an acceptable risk for us. We also don't do that on the highway. But around town our dog likes to smell the neighborhood and smell the air as we drive down side streets past other dogs and that sort of thing -- usually at slow speeds, relatively speaking, and where it's unlikely someone is going to come side-swipe the car or something. I'm not saying something couldn't happen, but it's like letting your kids play outside -- sometimes you just have to live life and enjoy the neighborhood.

Reactions: PoitNarf