Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Oil's Bewildering Decline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This probably belongs here:

WELLS WIRES AND WHEELS...

The disruption has begun and the Model 3 is playing a BIG part in it!

The Introduction pretty much sums it up:

INTRODUCTION

Oil needs long-term break-evens of $10-$20/bbl to remain competitive in mobility. In this report we introduce the concept of the Energy Return on Capital Invested (EROCI), focusing on the energy returnon a $100bn outlay on oil and renewables where the energy is being used specifically to power carsand other light-duty vehicles (LDVs). For a given capital outlay on oil and renewables, how much useful energy at the wheels do we get? Our analysis indicates that for the same capital outlay today, new wind and solar-energy projects in tandem with battery electric vehicles (EVs)* will produce 6x-7x more useful energy at the wheels than will oil at $60/bbl for gasoline-powered LDVs, and 3x-4x more than will oil at $60/bbl for LDVs running on diesel. Accordingly, we calculate that the long-term break-even oil price for gasoline to remain competitive as a source of mobility is $9-$10/bbl, and for diesel $17-19/ bbl.

Oil has a massive flow-rate advantage, but this is time limited. The oil industry is so massive that the amounts that can be purchased on the spot market can provide very large and effectively instantaneousflows of energy. By contrast, new wind and solar projects deliver their energy over a 25-year operatinglife. Nonetheless, we think the economics of renewables are impossible for oil to compete with when looked at over the cycle. We calculate that to get the same amount of mobility from gasoline as from new renewables in tandem with EVs over the next 25 years would cost 6.2x-7x more. Indeed, even if we add in the cost of building new network infrastructure to cope with all the new wind and/or solar capacity implied by replacing gasoline with renewables and EVs, the economics of renewables still crush those of oil. Extrapolating total expenditure on gasoline in 2018 for the next 25 years would see $25trn spent on mobility, whereas we estimate the cost of new renewables projects complete with the enhanced network infrastructure required to match the 2018 level of mobility provided by gasoline every year for the next 25 years at only $4.6-$5.2trn.

Economic and environmental benefits set to make renewables in tandem with EVs irresistible. The clear conclusion of our analysis is that if we were building out the global energy system from scratch today, economics alone would dictate that at a minimum the road-transportation infrastructure would be built up around EVs powered by wind- and solar-generated electricity. And that is before we factor in the other advantages of renewables and EVs over oil as a road-transportation fuel, namely the climate-change and clean-air benefits, the public-health benefits that flow from this, the fact that electricityis much easier to transport than oil, and the fact that the price of electricity generated from wind and solar is low and stable over the long term whereas the price of oil is notoriously volatile.

The death toll for petrol. With 36% of demand for crude oil today accounted for by LDVs and othervehicle categories susceptible to electrification, and a further 5% by power generation, the oil industryhas never before in its history faced the kind of threat that renewable electricity in tandem with EVs poses to its business model: a competing energy source that (i) has a short-run marginal cost (SRMC) of zero, (ii) is much cleaner environmentally, (iii) is much easier to transport, and (iv) could readily replace up to 40% of global oil demand if it had the necessary scale. We conclude that the economics of oil for gasoline and diesel vehicles versus wind- and solar-powered EVs are now in relentless and irreversible decline, with far-reaching implications for both policymakers and the oil majors.

A warning from the European utility sector. If all of this sounds far-fetched, then the speed with which the competitive landscape of the European utility industry has been reshaped over the last decade by the rollout of wind and solar power – and the billions of euros of fossil-fuel generation assets that thishas stranded – should be a flashing red light on the oil industry’s dashboard.

If it is bewildering at the start of the ev ramp imagine what it will be in the middle of it ;)

Gas prices plummet amid 'bewildering' decline for oil as Thanksgiving travel approaches
Most of the majors are, and have been for years, heavily invested in battery technologies. I think it’s BP that has developed a new technology in the cell divisions of batteries to improve charge longevity. They’ve got a new partnership in Chine and EVs. Shell developing marine battery cells. They’re adapting, too, and have the money for research.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
Most of the majors are, and have been for years, heavily invested in battery technologies. I think it’s BP that has developed a new technology in the cell divisions of batteries to improve charge longevity. They’ve got a new partnership in Chine and EVs. Shell developing marine battery cells. They’re adapting, too, and have the money for research.

Yes Dana, big oil has - for various reasons - been dabbling in renewable energy, though some do not believe that their motives have always been particularly pure and noble.

It is sometimes incredibly difficult to change the culture or mind-set of an organisation - particularly ones that have arguably been successful with a given modus operandi over many many decades.

As far as I am aware, none of the large oil companies ever managed to establish a leading role in either PV or wind energy generation.

Although it is hard to argue with your logic, somehow I doubt that they will mange the transition to sustainable energy generation.

Oh, how I wish to be proven wrong!

Yup, that's what I said back in post 13... apart from EVs being a VERY tiny fraction of cars on the road, only half oil use is in cars to begin with.
I wonder if the remaining fossil oil uses will be converted to some type of bio-fuels? I know that fuel for ships, planes, and other chemical uses have all been successfully replaced by bio derived substitutes experimentally. If the governments/people of the world ever get serious about climate change that could happen by law. Also, there's the problem of plastic pollution in the ocean. There has to be some type of bio plastic that decomposes into something harmless after say one year.