Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bizarre phone key issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had no issues using phone key for last 3 years. Suddenly I've been having problems using my phone as a key for the last couple weeks. Usually this clears when i turn my bluetooth on and then off again. This morning, nothing worked. On my bluetooth, my tesla appeared 'in use' and phone showed it was connected to another unkown telsa (I didn't thing to take a screen shot) which i disconnected from immediately. In the end I took our other car. I had to delete the app and it now seems to be connecting again. Any ideas what is causing this?

When you said you turned Bluetooth on and off again, did you mean it was off to begin with? It needs to be on for the phone key.

There are two Tesla Bluetooth devices, one for the phone key, the other for pairing your phone. Is it possible the other unknown Tesla was one of those? Is Bluetooth enabled for the Tesla app in your phone’s settings? No one could connect your phone to another car via Bluetooth without your approval.

Depending on which car and app version you have, your phone key might have been upgraded to use UWB, in which case you would have seen a prompt. Did that happen to you?

I've had no issues using phone key for last 3 years. Suddenly I've been having problems using my phone as a key for the last couple weeks. Usually this clears when i turn my bluetooth on and then off again. This morning, nothing worked. On my bluetooth, my tesla appeared 'in use' and phone showed it was connected to another unkown telsa (I didn't thing to take a screen shot) which i disconnected from immediately. In the end I took our other car. I had to delete the app and it now seems to be connecting again. Any ideas what is causing this?
I had the same issue but it never cleared up. 2 phones ( me and the Mrs) and 2 cards would not gives us authorization to drive the M3. After multiple tries, Tesla had to tow it for service.

Even though some posters (rudely) proclaim it is not software related, I still think it is

I had the same issue but it never cleared up. 2 phones ( me and the Mrs) and 2 cards would not gives us authorization to drive the M3. After multiple tries, Tesla had to tow it for service.

Even though some posters (rudely) proclaim it is not software related, I still think it is
What did Tesla tell you after they scoped it? (And, some people were just born A-H's and enjoy displaying it!)

What did Tesla tell you after they scoped it? (And, some people were just born A-H's and enjoy displaying it!)
It appears that multi users have experienced similar issues. It was getting pretty frustrating for me because I never used support before (I am on my second M3). And, when I was able to get thru, I would get in the vehicle with them on the phone and the car would connect and drop the call. I called back a few times because of this. I asked support to call back if it happened again but I was told that they are not allowed to do that.

Service mention control module but I don't know if it was replaced, reset, or other. I thought they mentioned software too but not quite sure. I half expect that a software update will be coming thru shortly though... if it is a software related issue.

It appears that multi users have experienced similar issues. It was getting pretty frustrating for me because I never used support before (I am on my second M3). And, when I was able to get thru, I would get in the vehicle with them on the phone and the car would connect and drop the call. I called back a few times because of this. I asked support to call back if it happened again but I was told that they are not allowed to do that.

Service mention control module but I don't know if it was replaced, reset, or other. I thought they mentioned software too but not quite sure. I half expect that a software update will be coming thru shortly though... if it is a software related issue.
Good luck!

Reactions: Niroc
Don't look at the Bluetooth screen, look at the locks screen.
While they both use Bluetooth, they use different Bluetooth protocols and are paired separately.

Have you shut the phone down and restarted from cold?

Just remove the phone as a key from the car and phone and add it back, this requires a valid card key.
You do NOT need to unpair Bluetooth on the phone, that's for audio and telephone.