Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with phone key disconnecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've had the model y since mid December and it has been fine. This week however my phone key has started randomly disconnecting. I've done the bluetooth on and off, removed the auto sync contacts, re- paired the phone with the car, rebooted the car, etc etc. It works then I go in to the house or work or whereever and suddenly the phone key disconnects. It's not MAJORLY problematic as obviously I have lived with normal car keys for many years but it seemed like a good feature of the app to have and now its driving me nuts. Any other suggestions welcome please.

Reactions: Jane4
Sadly, me too. On both of my Teslas. I think it is a software issue related to UWB phone links replacing Bluetooth. It might be fixed if we move to UWB when the Tesla firmware gets to 2024.2.8

Bummer. Now I carry the rfid card, just in case…

Upvote 0
Sadly, me too. On both of my Teslas. I think it is a software issue related to UWB phone links replacing Bluetooth. It might be fixed if we move to UWB when the Tesla firmware gets to 2024.2.8

Bummer. Now I carry the rfid card, just in case…
Thanks for the reply - it seems to have resolved itself today but I am not holding my breath and also carrying the key card!

Upvote 0
Is it just disconnecting or is it actually preventing you from entering the car?

My phone (Samsung) always disconnects after some time, most likely due to being at the edge of the Bluetooth range. But for the most part, it doesn’t prevent me from getting in the car.

Upvote 0
Same here, for myself with a 2018 M3 (iPhone 14) and my wife with her 2023 MY (iPhone 13). An "update" perhaps? I've gone through everything I can think of: rebooting the car, deleting and reinstalling the Tesla app., deleting and adding back the phone key. Nothing has helped.
What version of firmware are you using?

Mine often disconnects at 2023.44.30.25. I really look forward to 2024.2.8.x and Ultra WideBand phone links.

Upvote 0
Is it just disconnecting or is it actually preventing you from entering the car?

My phone (Samsung) always disconnects after some time, most likely due to being at the edge of the Bluetooth range. But for the most part, it doesn’t prevent me from getting in the car.
I had to use my physical key to start it yesterday. It wasn’t recognizing the phone key while I was in the car.

Upvote 0
The M3 has 2023.44.20.30.25 while the MY is at 2024.2.7

So are you using UWB on the 2023.44.20.30.25 ? That has to be set up on the phone and in the car.

I *think* that’s the software glitch. With prior firmware the Bluetooth link breaks for some reason. The fix is iffy. The Tesla phone link sometimes works a day or two later, maybe after the Tesla “sleeps”. But it can be forced to work by unpairing the phone Bluetooth link and by deleting the phone key in “Locks”. Then re-pairing the Bluetooth links and recreating the phone lock.

I’m tired of doing that every time there is a firmware update since November for me. And randomly in between updates it can happen. I am hoping that setting up UMB will bypass the Bluetooth and lock glitch…. Next firmware for me 🤞🏻

Upvote 0
Hi, I've had the model y since mid December and it has been fine. This week however my phone key has started randomly disconnecting. I've done the bluetooth on and off, removed the auto sync contacts, re- paired the phone with the car, rebooted the car, etc etc. It works then I go in to the house or work or whereever and suddenly the phone key disconnects. It's not MAJORLY problematic as obviously I have lived with normal car keys for many years but it seemed like a good feature of the app to have and now its driving me nuts. Any other suggestions welcome please.
This has suddenly started happening to me too. I thought I had settled the problem but today I have reset my iPhone as a key for my Model Y no less than 6 times, only to have it disconnect within a few minutes. This is not location-dependent, either. It happens at home and when parked elsewhere. There have been no software updates to the phone or the car that correlate with the sudden emergence of this problem.

Upvote 0
This has started happening to me, too, within the last week or so. It's driving me nuts. Sometimes the phone key will fail to unlock the car and then work to start the car, or vice versa, and sometimes I have to use the card key to do both. It seems really random. I can go several days without the problem and then it occurs again. It started happening around the time of the last Tesla software update, but I also upgraded my iPhone to iOS 17 around that time, so I don't know which one to blame. I got excited when I saw the mention of UWB, but a little research shows Tesla only put the UWB chip in the refreshed Model 3 and some versions of the S and X, so that's not going to help us Model Y owners. I guess we can hope they fix it in a future software update, assuming that's where the problem lies.

Upvote 0
Yes--same here. But I was having more problems with that happening with our 2020 Model 3 right before we traded that in for the 2024 Model Y. Had a second identity create itself that I finally eliminated. In general, ,we find the Model Y to be more "together" than the older model 3 was. Esp.with the FSD--that is the "bomb" on the Model Y.

Upvote 0