Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn, the Norwegian Tourist Association should be paying you a commission.
I have hiked 3 of the top 4 waterfalls in New England (and about 8 others in the
top 40) and none would probably make the top 1000 in Norway. If you could
talk less about the car and more about the sites we're seeing... :)

Just curious -- the paint on the front of your car seems to be in amazing shape. By the time my Prius got to 100,000 miles, I had a bunch of paint chips on the front of the hood from small bits of gravel, road salt, etc., being kicked up by other vehicles (not to mention a few gravel trucks that didn't cover their loads! :cursing:). As I understand it, the paint on a Tesla is pretty soft -- did you get some sort of plastic armor or something?

Just curious -- the paint on the front of your car seems to be in amazing shape. By the time my Prius got to 100,000 miles, I had a bunch of paint chips on the front of the hood from small bits of gravel, road salt, etc., being kicked up by other vehicles (not to mention a few gravel trucks that didn't cover their loads! :cursing:). As I understand it, the paint on a Tesla is pretty soft -- did you get some sort of plastic armor or something?
I haven't treated the paint at all. Most of the time, I drive in the evening and in good distance to the car in front of me. That helps a lot. I try to avoid getting schmutz and sand from other cars.

Hello Bjorn,

First, thank you very much for your videos and support to Tesla. If I had the money, I would buy a Tesla and, although I was convinced before finding your youtube channel, your videos helped me a lot understanding how the Tesla Model S worked.

Since you were talking in your last video about new ideas, here's one I would love to see. After getting the X delivered and before your Millenium Falcon is sold, raffled or donated, you could do (or allow) one last adventure with the S.

It would be awesome if the Millenium Falcon could visit all the European Superchargers. You could choose people you trust to drive the Millenium Falcon and visit (taking a picture, of course) each and every SC. With the camera always on, it would be one hell of a video with scenery from lots of countries. It could be done by regions and drivers could visit the highlights of their regions. As with the Chademo adapter, they would have to make a deposit and you would need to get a special insurance,... easy peasy.

Hello Bjorn,

First, thank you very much for your videos and support to Tesla. If I had the money, I would buy a Tesla and, although I was convinced before finding your youtube channel, your videos helped me a lot understanding how the Tesla Model S worked.

Since you were talking in your last video about new ideas, here's one I would love to see. After getting the X delivered and before your Millenium Falcon is sold, raffled or donated, you could do (or allow) one last adventure with the S.

It would be awesome if the Millenium Falcon could visit all the European Superchargers. You could choose people you trust to drive the Millenium Falcon and visit (taking a picture, of course) each and every SC. With the camera always on, it would be one hell of a video with scenery from lots of countries. It could be done by regions and drivers could visit the highlights of their regions. As with the Chademo adapter, they would have to make a deposit and you would need to get a special insurance,... easy peasy.
Good idea. I will consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The car doesn't necessarily use the speed and front wheel direction to estimate the position. You can get portable GPS units that can do estimates just like the Tesla does, even some phones. If you don't use the speed and front wheel direction from the car, you need at least one accelerometer, and one gyroscope. Using the starting speed from the GPS, the accelerometer is used to determine the change in speed, as deceleration/acceleration is measured. And the gyroscope is used to determine the yaw of the car, giving you the direction of travel.

More commonly, a three axis accelerometer as well as a three axis gyroscope is used. The three axis gyroscope not only gives you yaw, but also pitch and roll, and the three axis accelerometer not only gives you longitudinal acceleration but also lateral and vertical acceleration. The orientation of the device also becomes irrelevant, as you can calculate the actual movements of the car based on the gravity and the direction of travel obtained from the GPS before entering the tunnel.

The above system is called an Inertial Navigation System (INS) and is used particularly in aircraft and missiles to complement the GPS. The accuracy varies, but a good INS can be quite accurate up to around an hour of operation. (It gets quite complicated as time progresses, as you need extreme accuracy in the measurements, and you need to take into account things like the rotation of the earth.) Any cheap INS should handle a tunnel fairly well.

Last edited:
The car doesn't necessarily use the speed and front wheel direction to estimate the position. You can get portable GPS units that can do estimates just like the Tesla does, even some phones. If you don't use the speed and front wheel direction from the car, you need at least one accelerometer, and one gyroscope. Using the starting speed from the GPS, the accelerometer is used to determine the change in speed, as deceleration/acceleration is measured. And the gyroscope is used to determine the yaw of the car, giving you the direction of travel.

More commonly, a three axis accelerometer as well as a three axis gyroscope is used. The three axis gyroscope not only gives you yaw, but also pitch and roll, and the three axis accelerometer not only gives you longitudinal acceleration but also lateral and vertical acceleration. The orientation of the device also becomes irrelevant, as you can calculate the actual movements of the car based on the gravity and the direction of travel obtained from the GPS before entering the tunnel.

The above system is called an Inertial Navigation System (INS) and is used particularly in aircraft and missiles to complement the GPS. The accuracy varies, but a good INS can be quite accurate up to around an hour of operation. (It gets quite complicated as time progresses, as you need extreme accuracy in the measurements, and you need to take into account things like the rotation of the earth.) Any cheap INS should handle a tunnel fairly well.
We noticed that Tesla can handle short tunnels just fine. However, in the World's longest road tunnel Lærdalstunnelen which is 24.5 km long, the car almost always misses the exit by quite a lot.

Hi Bjorn, just found out from your October update video that you will be naming your Model X, X-Wing?

If you are worried that my username may cause confusion on this forum, feel free to let me know and I will happy to change it with the help of site admin.

I also want to take this opportunity to publicly thank you. I simply wouldn't even consider a Tesla if I had not stumble upon your videos on YouTube. It is through your videos and the trips that you documented, that I became convinced that the Model S is a viable everyday car even in harsh winter conditions. I have much respect for you and your work. As a fellow computer scientist, I find it easy for me to follow your logic and thought process as well.

p.s. I didn't even know X-Wing was a thing in Star Wars. I actually thought Millennium Falcon was from StarTrek. "Model X" + "Falcon Wing Door" = X-Wing.

p.p.s. Best of luck doing YouTube full time. Look forward to more awesome videos.

Maybe feed the lavalier mic to the Zoom recorder can improve audio for the in car video. But because of the different clock speed in the camera and audio recorder. They can drift out of sync in very long videos. You may have to splice the audio into different 10-min. segments.

Hi Bjorn, just found out from your October update video that you will be naming your Model X, X-Wing?

If you are worried that my username may cause confusion on this forum, feel free to let me know and I will happy to change it with the help of site admin.

I also want to take this opportunity to publicly thank you. I simply wouldn't even consider a Tesla if I had not stumble upon your videos on YouTube. It is through your videos and the trips that you documented, that I became convinced that the Model S is a viable everyday car even in harsh winter conditions. I have much respect for you and your work. As a fellow computer scientist, I find it easy for me to follow your logic and thought process as well.

p.s. I didn't even know X-Wing was a thing in Star Wars. I actually thought Millennium Falcon was from StarTrek. "Model X" + "Falcon Wing Door" = X-Wing.

p.p.s. Best of luck doing YouTube full time. Look forward to more awesome videos.

Maybe feed the lavalier mic to the Zoom recorder can improve audio for the in car video. But because of the different clock speed in the camera and audio recorder. They can drift out of sync in very long videos. You may have to splice the audio into different 10-min. segments.
Thank you for the feedback :) No need to rename your username. Most people know me by Bjorn or Teslabjorn anyways :)

As for the mic setup. The Giant Squid lavalier mic requires power feed to work. And for some reason it doesn't get it from the Canon HF-G10 camcorder. One workaround I had was to use the Zoom H4n to power up the mic. And then I feed the line out from H4n into HF-G10's mic input and set the input to be line and not mic. It works ok, but is a bit clumsy. And even though the gain is on auto, the camera allows the input level to go too high causing clipping.

Now that I have some extra money from credits, I will buy another mic that doesn't require me to use H4n in between.

To complete that see efficiency map from http://www.acpropulsion.com/datasheet/ac150gen2.pdf For those who don't know: Tesla motors did originally license motor & inverter tech from them.

Induction motor + inverter is inefficient when power output is small fraction of max power and at low rpm. It is also inefficient close to max torque (top left), but that is cut away by traction control, if motor is large enough. Perhaps battery has i*i*R loss and even more when charging.

Great video on the torque sleep indeed with impressive efficiency! As Morgan states he does not notice any difference, it makes you wonder why torque sleep is not always activated. A button to activate torque sleep independent from range mode makes sense. Or even turn it the other way around: always activate torque sleep and make a button to turn continuous awd on. Keep up the great videos.

Great video on the torque sleep indeed with impressive efficiency! As Morgan states he does not notice any difference, it makes you wonder why torque sleep is not always activated. A button to activate torque sleep independent from range mode makes sense. Or even turn it the other way around: always activate torque sleep and make a button to turn continuous awd on. Keep up the great videos.
I think it would be because the vast majority of traffic is done in stop and go city driving. Torque sleep would be counterproductive in that kind of driving.

Tesla Model S P85 energy test

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla Model S P85 energy test

You are missing one test I am wondering about.
When using cruise control, does turning regen=low (not standard like the default) reduce energy consumption?

I've seen notes that setting regen=low on very rainy/slippery/icy conditions can avoid having the rear wheels lose traction when letting off the accelerator at highway speed.

Last edited by a moderator: