Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black greasy spots on the exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my white 90D X for almost 3 months and ever since the first day I noticed small, greasy black spots on the sides starting at the wheel well and tapering towards the back of the car. It looks like splatter from the front wheels (see pic).

The curious thing is that no matter where I drive or how far I drive the spots always appear. I chalked it up to normal road dirt but today I got it back from the detail shop and drove it straight home. The first thing I see when I close the door is the splatter. Always the same type of substance, always almost the identical pattern. It happens on both sides but it is heavier on the right side. A few weeks ago I noticed a big blob of grease right on the spot where the splatter occurs.

Has anybody experienced this? I'm starting to think there's something 'dripping' on the wheels and thus shot out to the sides. I don't know if it is normal or something I need to have checked.

Attachments

• WP_20160719_18_04_15_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160719_18_04_15_Pro_LI.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
I've had my white 90D X for almost 3 months and ever since the first day I noticed small, greasy black spots on the sides starting at the wheel well and tapering towards the back of the car. It looks like splatter from the front wheels (see pic).

The curious thing is that no matter where I drive or how far I drive the spots always appear. I chalked it up to normal road dirt but today I got it back from the detail shop and drove it straight home. The first thing I see when I close the door is the splatter. Always the same type of substance, always almost the identical pattern. It happens on both sides but it is heavier on the right side. A few weeks ago I noticed a big blob of grease right on the spot where the splatter occurs.

Has anybody experienced this? I'm starting to think there's something 'dripping' on the wheels and thus shot out to the sides. I don't know if it is normal or something I need to have checked.

You have the infamous 'tire sling". google it. I also have a white MX90D and after taking it to the shop for a wash I noticed the same thing twice. Apparently the tire dressing or shine that is applied if not dried sufficiently reacts with the tires and causes black greasy stains on the side of the car and can be permanent if not cleaned ASAP. I have a few spots that will not come out. It is more noticeable with white cars than darker ones. Plan to buy a clay bar to get it out. I hand wash my car now. Hope this helps.

You have the infamous 'tire sling". google it. I also have a white MX90D and after taking it to the shop for a wash I noticed the same thing twice. Apparently the tire dressing or shine that is applied if not dried sufficiently reacts with the tires and causes black greasy stains on the side of the car and can be permanent if not cleaned ASAP. I have a few spots that will not come out. It is more noticeable with white cars than darker ones. Plan to buy a clay bar to get it out. I hand wash my car now. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I bought some washing products from my detail shop and plan on hand washing the car every week. I guess I will have to 'clean' it every day now. At least where the spots are :eek:

I also waiting to hear from the SC, hopefully there's something they can do to 'fix' this.

What did you find out from Tesla about this?

I have this issue on my white 2015 P85D, covering the rear(everything below spoiler) and between the passenger side tires. Nowhere else.

I first noticed it after a service center visit for my air conditioning, it had zero refrigerant, car only has 11,000 miles.

What did you find out from Tesla about this?

I have this issue on my white 2015 P85D, covering the rear(everything below spoiler) and between the passenger side tires. Nowhere else.

I first noticed it after a service center visit for my air conditioning, it had zero refrigerant, car only has 11,000 miles.

Hi Brenden,

The car had been at the SC a couple of days ago so when I told them about my problem they told me all systems were ok so it couldn't be any oil/grease from the car. They suggested it was dressing from the tires. I took the car to get washed and told my detailer to use less tire dressing. That fixed the problem. Have you had your car washed recently? I know they wash them at the SC but they don't apply tire dressing.

If you haven't used tire dressing then I would check with the SC to make sure it's not coming from the car.

I hope this helps.