TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Black greasy spots on the exterior

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Xtatic, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Xtatic

Xtatic Member

#1 Xtatic, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    I've had my white 90D X for almost 3 months and ever since the first day I noticed small, greasy black spots on the sides starting at the wheel well and tapering towards the back of the car. It looks like splatter from the front wheels (see pic).

The curious thing is that no matter where I drive or how far I drive the spots always appear. I chalked it up to normal road dirt but today I got it back from the detail shop and drove it straight home. The first thing I see when I close the door is the splatter. Always the same type of substance, always almost the identical pattern. It happens on both sides but it is heavier on the right side. A few weeks ago I noticed a big blob of grease right on the spot where the splatter occurs.

Has anybody experienced this? I'm starting to think there's something 'dripping' on the wheels and thus shot out to the sides. I don't know if it is normal or something I need to have checked.

Attached Files:

2. silentsnow31802

In my automotive experience when grease flies around like that its usually from a CV boot that has torn and is now throwing grease from it. Would be very unusual for yours to be doing that since it is so new. Would definitely take it to a service center and have them check it.

• Informative x 1
  3. Xtatic

Xtatic Member

Thanks for the info. I already emailed the SC agent so hopefully I'll get it checked soon.

4. jnt76

jnt76 Member

You have the infamous 'tire sling". google it. I also have a white MX90D and after taking it to the shop for a wash I noticed the same thing twice. Apparently the tire dressing or shine that is applied if not dried sufficiently reacts with the tires and causes black greasy stains on the side of the car and can be permanent if not cleaned ASAP. I have a few spots that will not come out. It is more noticeable with white cars than darker ones. Plan to buy a clay bar to get it out. I hand wash my car now. Hope this helps.

5. Xtatic

Xtatic Member

Thanks! I bought some washing products from my detail shop and plan on hand washing the car every week. I guess I will have to 'clean' it every day now. At least where the spots are :eek:

I also waiting to hear from the SC, hopefully there's something they can do to 'fix' this.