Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black hole - removing central console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just had the back of my Model 3 key fob fall down perfectly in to the gap between the driver seat and the console, then proceed to go straight down the hole under the console to be lost forever in the black hole change pit.

Is it worth taking the centre console out to get it? How easy is this procedure? I know popping the front panels off the sides is just a case of pull, but is this something that can be done DIY? Is it possible to undo the bolts and just lift it a bit to be able to fish the cover out?

Struggling to visualise exactly where this fob part fell. There are HVAC holes behind both seats, but I guess you don't mean that.

In the grand scheme of things it's not particularly hard to remove the console. You just pull off the carpet panels at the front, and then it's (from memory) 6 bolts, 3 either side. The two at the back you'll need to move the seats forward to access. The cover at the bottom of the console at the rear is a pain to remove, it is fixed with two really meaty clips.

Reactions: boombap and Ceih
Struggling to visualise exactly where this fob part fell. There are HVAC holes behind both seats, but I guess you don't mean that.

In the grand scheme of things it's not particularly hard to remove the console. You just pull off the carpet panels at the front, and then it's (from memory) 6 bolts, 3 either side. The two at the back you'll need to move the seats forward to access. The cover at the bottom of the console at the rear is a pain to remove, it is fixed with two really meaty clips.
So if you look at the gap between the seat and the console (yes that tiny gap) from the mid-seat backwards there’s a small recess that lets stuff slip through and inside, directly under the console. Using flexible scope there’s a whole load of wiring inside….

Managed to get the side panels off and can see the bolts clearly, but had to order some trim removal spudgers and you’re exactly spot on, that rear piece is a nightmare!

Reactions: Durzel
You can pull it off from the bottom using an allen key or equivalent hooked tool, if you're got nothing else handy. You tuck it under the bottom of the trim piece and pull - with more force than you think you should need, or feels safe.

I have no idea why the trim clips on that piece are so substantial, but whatever the reason it makes it very hard (in my opinion) to remove.

Once removed you will have a choice.. if you need to remove the console you will need to disconnect the CANBUS connector at the back of the console. Depending on the year of your car it'll either be white or blue. I would strongly recommend powering down the car (the "Power Off" option on the screen), leaving the drivers door ajar and waiting until you hear the "clunk" of the high voltage contactors. At this point the car is asleep.

if you want to be extra cautious then you should disconnect both the HV and LV batteries. I've never bothered to do this though, on the couple of occasions I've disconnected the CANBUS, because I watched a video where a guy didn't and there was no issues plugging it back in. Obviously whether you risk that is your choice :)

Unfortunately based on where it sounds like you've dropped the fob part - I don't think you'd be able to get to it without going through the motions as if you were going to remove the console, and then sortof levering it up. It is a tight fit against the seats so will probably stay wedged between them if you lift it high enough.

IMG_6159.jpeg

There is also a mini USB cable on the drivers side, about halfway down. This is also a massive pain to remove in my experience - you need to hold the connector (which is on a sortof flexible attachment) whilst pulling the cable out.

IMG_4659.jpeg

Last edited:
Perfect pictures, thank you. It has gone in here:
1711563424441.png

I agree, it looks likely I'm going to have to go through the procedure as if I'm removing it entirely, even if I only do have to bring it up a few inches to be able to get access. Mine is a 2021 LR, delivered in June. Definitely will remove the CANBUS connector and that side USB as well.

Thank you so much for your valuable help!

Went for it today.
Central console came out quite easily, disconnected all the bits and bobs and didn't manage to electrocute myself and the car didn't explode either.

Sadly the missing bottom to the key fob has entirely disappeared. It's nowhere in that central "channel", and I went and checked under the seats right to the sides whilst I was there. I suspect it has somehow migrated itself even further down a hole in to god knows where. Sadly the wife confirmed she had driven the car in the in between period, so I think a few sharp corners may have shoved it.

Everything put back together. No errors, count that as a win.
Reckon Tesla SC might have a random back to a key fob?

Reactions: Durzel