Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model Y with Black Plasti Dip Gemini Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my Black Model Y with black Plasti Dip gemini wheels, Requirements: 2 cans of black Plasti Dip aerosol cans, 1 can Glossifier, Can-gun optional but will spray more evenly.
1 Gemini original with Y.jpg
2 Gemini covers original.png
3 first coat.png
4 second coat.png
5 third coat.png
6 fifth coat.png
7 Glossifier.png
8 Close up.jpg
9 Gemini final with Y.jpg

Nice OP, thanks for posting. I plan on doing similar when I get my MSM MY.

Question: How does the ‘silver ring” look in person? Distracting or nice contrast?

I want ALL black, but not sure about a good way to color that ring. Maybe a black Sharpie like in the Uberturbine thread, haha!!

Again, thanks for posting the pics.

Reactions: Stealthmice

Question: How does the ‘silver ring” look in person? Distracting or nice contrast?

I want ALL black, but not sure about a good way to color that ring. Maybe a black Sharpie like in the Uberturbine thread, haha!!

The 'silver ring' look is going to be pretty subjective. I personally like it because it's give it shape and a 'Tron' like quality. You can also apply Plasti Dip to the ring with careful masking but do note that it's part of the inner rim (pic below),

Inner rim.png

• Informative
Reactions: Miggy

I think you can easily put down some black vinyl wrap just around that part. A 1x5ft roll is only like $10 on amazon.

The 'silver ring' look is going to be pretty subjective. I personally like it because it's give it shape and a 'Tron' like quality. You can also apply Plasti Dip to the ring with careful masking but do note that it's part of the inner rim (pic below),

Understood. I’ve also seen the wheel dipped (with out the covers) and that looks great, too. Decisions, decisions, haha!!

I think you can easily put down some black vinyl wrap just around that part. A 1x5ft roll is only like $10 on amazon.

That’s a good idea, too.

Ok...I'm going to be the guinea pig and go ahead and try the wrap. I can get XPO VViViD cheap wrap for $11, or 3m 2080 for $16-$17. You think the 3M stuff is worth it? (unfortunately, with buying from amazon, if you buy 3M you might be receiving counterfeit anyway...)

Ok...I'm going to be the guinea pig and go ahead and try the wrap. I can get XPO VViViD cheap wrap for $11, or 3m 2080 for $16-$17. You think the 3M stuff is worth it? (unfortunately, with buying from amazon, if you buy 3M you might be receiving counterfeit anyway...)
Following along on your adventure! I was planning to Plasti Dip the rim edge but interested to see if the vinyl works/less work/matches since I would have to still bag over the brakes and peel off the excess Plasti Dip from the wheel.

Nice job on the Plasti dip. How did the vinyl wrap turned out?

Another thought would be to use Rim Protect. I've seen couple of videos on the model 3 aero wheels. It will cover the ring part and the aero cover will still fit.

Another thought is, why not just use the vinyls on the Gemini wheels to begin with?

Nice job on the Plasti dip. How did the vinyl wrap turned out?

Another thought would be to use Rim Protect. I've seen couple of videos on the model 3 aero wheels. It will cover the ring part and the aero cover will still fit.

Another thought is, why not just use the vinyls on the Gemini wheels to begin with?

Here you go ->

Pics of white Y with and without Gemini covers

I have heard good and bad things about rim protectors so I didn't go that route. And...I'm not good enough with vinyl to put vinyl directly on geminis.

Thinking of dipping my caps and the wheels. I don’t have any experience with plastidip so I thought I would check with you folks. If I dip the wheel and put glossifyer on then after a few months time out my Gemini caps back on, will I be ruining my dip on the wheels? It seems that the clips for the caps would likely tear the dip but maybe someone else knows how this would work better.

Thinking of dipping my caps and the wheels. I don’t have any experience with plastidip so I thought I would check with you folks. If I dip the wheel and put glossifyer on then after a few months time out my Gemini caps back on, will I be ruining my dip on the wheels? It seems that the clips for the caps would likely tear the dip but maybe someone else knows how this would work better.

Yeah...it would probably cut/rub holes on the plastidip. The aero caps already have left black marks on the gemini wheels that are hard to get off...so they are pretty abrasive.

• Disagree
Reactions: E_R_N
how did you cut it?
Cut it prior to applying. Use 1/2 inch strip of vinyl. Clean. Pull. Heat. Stretch. Apply. Heat again to help adhere and smooth.

Your edge near the tire and covered by the aero doesn't matter. Apply to the silver ring and fold on each side. Make sure that part is as smooth as possible when pressing down and applying. It's easy and you don't need to take off the tire or anything.