Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon I’ll trade in my Model 3 for a Model Y. I’ve been a white car guy for some time but I REALLY like the Model Y Black/Black. I just don’t want to deal with the headache of black paint.

Does ceramic coating remove this headache? (Swirls/Dullness/Constantly dirty)

Soon I’ll trade in my Model 3 for a Model Y. I’ve been a white car guy for some time but I REALLY like the Model Y Black/Black. I just don’t want to deal with the headache of black paint.

Does ceramic coating remove this headache? (Swirls/Dullness/Constantly dirty)

:D:D:D

I've owned about 5 black cars before and after each one, vowed to never get one again. hehe
Black is awesome when clean and you can't beat it.
But Tesla made my decision easier - they charged extra for black, and their black had no pearl in it.

I got my blk/blk paint corrected and ceramic coated about a month ago. Just did my first wash after the correction/coating it is just too easy to wash cars now. I used Master blaster to dry off the car and all water beads right off the car I didn’t even have to wipe down anything haha so easy

Metro MasterBlaster MB-3CD Industrial Dryer and Blower System - 8 hp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CUHXD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7LTqFb7QG1D44

Go black man..

I should have...
20200609_073508.jpg

I owned black cars my entire life. I don't feel tortured, upset, embarrassed, or encumbered by it at all. I never understand all the hate.

Black looks the nicest clean, which means other colors never look as great, such that when they're dirty, it's no big deal.

Not to hijack the conversation, but seems like the right time to jump in on whether or not the general consensus is that Tesla is doing better in the paint process, over all? I am currently pre-ordered with white, but have heard issues of color-shade mismatches and therefore, leaning towards MSM.

What does the hive-mind know?

Black is less visible to other drivers also, there are stats on this. Google it. Black color cars more likely to be involved in car accidents. Black color absorb all light spectrum so it heats up more. The nicks, scratches,fingerprints and hard water spots are more visible on black color.
My previous car was black and I gladly chose white TMY especially since there is no additional fees for white.

It really depends on how critical your eye is and how tolerant you are to imperfection. Once you see washed induced swirls/marring you can't unsee it on any car. Most people never get to this level. With that said, it sounds like you do see them. If so, Ceramic will make the paint easier to clean which may help in the wash process but you will still get swirls/marring over time. The only difference is that it may be in the ceramic layer vs. the clear coat. If you truly want to minimize swirls/marring for your daily driver, go PPF.

I love the look of black and I enjoy cleaning the car every saturday and would never have chose any other color other than maybe the dark grey (black was free at the time, grey was not). However, there is one flaw with the black that I didnt anticipate, good luck finding the door handles in the dark.

Reactions: noshadow
Does ceramic coating help that much? I used a ceramic boost after a wash, and it really helped with drying with a master blaster (8hp). But I think I'll have to apply the coating again on my next wash, and it's pretty tough to get off (especially glass, I still hare residue).

Does ceramic coating help that much? I used a ceramic boost after a wash, and it really helped with drying with a master blaster (8hp). But I think I'll have to apply the coating again on my next wash, and it's pretty tough to get off (especially glass, I still hare residue).
A boost will contain SiO2, but will not last like an actual coating.

Reactions: noshadow
I use Avalon King armour shield ix and I am pretty happy with it. Some things I learned with the ceramic + the foam cannon. Foam cannon/pressure washer is only good for getting the first layer of debris/bugs/tar off but they come off pretty easy with the ceramic coating though not much different really than if you had just waxed the car at the last wash. Water spots and dirt "stains" wont magically fall off without an actual wash mitt however you will need to put ZERO pressure on your wash mitt to clean everything off, just use gravity and make sure you have a clean mitt. Everyone talks about using the 2 bucket method (a clean bucket to clean your mitt before you dip into a soap bucket) but I just use my hose and blast the mitt before I dip it back in the soap bucket and dont have swirl issues.
I would almost say waxing your car at every wash and being super careful at the wash (and blow dry of course) would be no different than ceramic coating your car once every couple years but I havent had the ceramic on for that long yet to see long term results.