Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer failure, $3.5K fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The GPS and rear view camera stopped working on my 2019 Model 3 (~35K miles) a few weeks ago. GPS is stuck showing the same location, rear view camera is blank on screen. Tesla service tried doing a hard reboot (with a replacement of the 12V battery), which did not fix the issue. Now they are saying the computer needs to be replaced, and are quoting >$3.5K.

Is this reasonable? Something feels off here -- I love the car, and the company, and they won all these awards, and customer satisfaction is through the roof by all accounts. So, I'm kinda shocked that they would charge a customer ~$4K for a repair that was not the customer's fault, on a relatively new, well-maintained car...

The GPS and rear view camera stopped working on my 2019 Model 3 (~35K miles) a few weeks ago. GPS is stuck showing the same location, rear view camera is blank on screen. Tesla service tried doing a hard reboot (with a replacement of the 12V battery), which did not fix the issue. Now they are saying the computer needs to be replaced, and are quoting >$3.5K.

Is this reasonable? Something feels off here -- I love the car, and the company, and they won all these awards, and customer satisfaction is through the roof by all accounts. So, I'm kinda shocked that they would charge a customer ~$4K for a repair that was not the customer's fault, on a relatively new, well-maintained car...

That's why there's extended warranty to cover post-warranty repairs:

If your Air Conditioner is broken, it'll be about the same cost too.

Sure -- what I find surprising is that (a) a car as highly regarded as a tesla would (b) have a part fail after only 4 years that usually lasts much longer in cars, and (3) cost thousands of dollars to fix. After owning cars for some 20 years, the combination (a)-(c) is an extreme outlier in my experience. Maybe I just got unlucky? Anyway, hence the surprise. Wouldn't you be surprised?

That's why there's extended warranty to cover post-warranty repairs:

If your Air Conditioner is broken, it'll be about the same cost too.
It says extended warranty is only for 2012-2020 models. Is that because Tesla stopped offering it? Or the 2021-23 models are too new to offer it.

Sure -- what I find surprising is that (a) a car as highly regarded as a tesla would (b) have a part fail after only 4 years that usually lasts much longer in cars, and (3) cost thousands of dollars to fix. After owning cars for some 20 years, the combination (a)-(c) is an extreme outlier in my experience. Maybe I just got unlucky? Anyway, hence the surprise. Wouldn't you be surprised?
I think you are operating under a series of assumptions that may not be valid.
(a) Where did you hear Tesla is "highly regarded"? It's really not when talking about reliability.
(B) all electronics have a failure rate and this one is very low, you are just unlucky here.
(c) you are replacing an expensive computer of the type that has only been seen in cars in recent years plus the cost of labor, not surprising.

Reactions: GOVA
No. Not surprised. You mixed up 2 things.

1. High satisfaction.

2. Low reliability.

Tesla is known for its low reliability.

Just like Jeep: High satisfaction but low reliability.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA and XCare EV
Is an extended warranty worth it for a tesla? My impression (validated by ~20 years of owning cars) is that on average, the cumulative cost of an extended warranty is greater than paying for repairs out-of-pocket. So, an extended warranty only makes sense if you prefer a predictable annual fee to a large bill once in a blue moon, even if on average you end up paying more for the former.

Reactions: SO16 and brkaus
Is an extended warranty worth it for a tesla? My impression (validated by ~20 years of owning cars) is that on average, the cumulative cost of an extended warranty is greater than paying for repairs out-of-pocket. So, an extended warranty only makes sense if you prefer a predictable annual fee to a large bill once in a blue moon, even if on average you end up paying more for the former.
Your validation of 20 years of owning cars means nothing when comparing the costs of repairing an ICE and EV. This thread wouldn’t have been written if the OP had an extended warranty. My 4 year extended warranty on my 2019 Model S through Xcelerate cost less than the OPs cost to replace his computer.

I like to say Tesla designs its vehicles to be fast to manufacture, easy to maintain but expensive to fix. Because most systems on a Tesla are designed to be replaced rather than disassembled and fixed (faster Service Center Throughput) a repair that with another manufacturer would have been a fix is with Tesla a replacement. Model X rear seat: $3000. Model X/S headlight: $1500. ...and the list goes on. I'm personally on my third Tesla, I worked for Tesla for many years and I love these cars, but I also understand that long term holding costs aren't cheap. That's why we're here.
-XCare

Did Tesla list the PN of the computer? I'd check a salvage yard and/or eBay. Quick search on eBay is showing media computers for +/-$200.

Reactions: Sophias_dad
Did Tesla list the PN of the computer? I'd check a salvage yard and/or eBay. Quick search on eBay is showing media computers for +/-$200.
Model 3's combine the MCU and the FSD computer boards into one chassis. The reason those are so cheap and plentiful is that they contain the older HW2.5 FSD computer board in them so it wouldn't be a direct assembly swap (pretty sure all 3's had HW3 by 2019). Used MCU2/HW3 computers look like they're running about $700-$800.

Model 3's combine the MCU and the FSD computer boards into one chassis. The reason those are so cheap and plentiful is that they contain the older HW2.5 FSD computer board in them so it wouldn't be a direct assembly swap (pretty sure all 3's had HW3 by 2019). Used MCU2/HW3 computers look like they're running about $700-$800.
The main computer board has certifications specific to your vehicle. you would have to swap out the certifications to the new board

Same thing just happened to my 2019 model 3 over here in the uk, Tesla quoting £2000 for a repair. As there’s alternative and as I see it, it’s safety critical if the cameras and sensors don’t work, I’ll have to have the work done. Did you get the computer replaced in the end?

Same thing just happened to my 2019 model 3 over here in the uk, Tesla quoting £2000 for a repair. As there’s alternative and as I see it, it’s safety critical if the cameras and sensors don’t work, I’ll have to have the work done. Did you get the computer replaced in the end?
Several people with same symptoms had the computer replaced and the error returned again - 2022 MYP GPS stuck, no cameras, cannot sleep . If I would be out of warranty I would try to convince them to fix it differently.
It doesn't seem like a HW issue. The question would be if Tesla can fix the error which SW caused (boot loop in my case) without changing the computer.
Some mentioned they disconnected the computer, made some physical hard reset and installed it back.
In another thread Gps location stuck they improved the grounding of the computer.

Hi just read your thread, did you manage to fix as I have the same problem on my 2021 model 3 standard range+, Your help be most appreciated