Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MrRules

Jan 15, 2021
Streetman, Texas
I had my Model Y appear with a black screen today and I had to drive with no electronic cues from the screen as would be usual. I was able to find a fix on the internet but was somewhat baffled to see that the problems were posted back in 2013! I was able to solve my problem with the posted reboot procedure but it is beyond me that this problem has not been solved in the last 8 years.

Stu

I had my Model Y appear with a black screen today and I had to drive with no electronic cues from the screen as would be usual. I was able to find a fix on the internet but was somewhat baffled to see that the problems were posted back in 2013! I was able to solve my problem with the posted reboot procedure but it is beyond me that this problem has not been solved in the last 8 years.

Stu
Thats because its not a single problem, its the MCU crashing caused by a (any) software bug. Undesirable but a consequence of the fast pace of development on the car

Stu
Did you by any chance recently Install a software update prior to this happening? I haven’t heard much about black screen on mcu2+ (s,3,x,y) it’s the older ones.
That being said many people don’t realize that after a sort ware install a reboot should be done. Double scroll wheel hold and foot on brake. Quick reboot and you shouldn’t see this issue.

I’ve been dealing with black screen death since 12/26 delivery. After a dozen re-boots I finally took it in today. What? No loaners? I haven’t had to deal with that since a Pontiac I owned in the 80s. At least the Audi dealership that just opened rented a Caddy when they didn’t yet have an inventory. Cheap. To be told “a known firmware problem engineers are working on”. This known firmware is how old? Great car, crappy company. But when a product is hot...