Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blinking red T on the Mobile Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

We recently purchased our second Tesla in 24 MYP. After finding out that our UMC was faulty, I replaced it with a new one. We are currently using it with NEMA 14-30 adapter. It charged fine overnight and there is no more orange light on the charge port. However this morning, I saw red light blinking very slowly on the letter T on the UMC. Could this be a problem? When I unplug and replug into the charge port, it appears to be ok, but don't know if it would come back or not. The NEMA 14-30 adapter was purchased back in 2019 so not sure if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2. The new UMC that I purchased yesterday is definitely Gen 2. I guess my main question or concern is whether Gen 1 NEMA 14-30 adapter is compatible with Gen 2 UMC. How can you even tell if my NEMA 14-30 is gen 1 or 2?

The T blinking is an error message. It blinks at various rates and counts to tell you the issue.

The error codes are detailed in the UMC manual, such as 4 blinks and a pause meaning overheating socket (that is a guess as I don’t have the manual available right now). The error is usually also flagged on the car’s screen until you disconnect the charger.

You can search for the manual via this site, or Google, or hopefully someone will provide details as I cannot at this time

Ok I just tried it again after bringing it back from tint job, and it appears to back to normal. It was streaming green when charging and solid green when done. I will have my fingers crossed that this was just a glitch and doesn't happen again.. Thanks for the feedback as I got to learn a few things from the manual.

The NEMA 14-30 adapter was purchased back in 2019 so not sure if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2. The new UMC that I purchased yesterday is definitely Gen 2. I guess my main question or concern is whether Gen 1 NEMA 14-30 adapter is compatible with Gen 2 UMC. How can you even tell if my NEMA 14-30 is gen 1 or 2?
Gen 1 and gen 2 adapters are completely different. Gen 1 are small cylinders (~2" diameter/~3" long). Gen 2 have the wire pigtails and are ~1 foot long. If it looks like your new Gen 2's adapters and physically fits, it's Gen 2. There's no way you could try to connect a Gen 1 adapter to a Gen 2 UMC.

My parent's 2018 S came with a Gen 2 UMC, so they made the switch sometime before 2018. I was stocking up on Gen 1 adapters in the 2016-17 timeframe; for some reason I decided I needed to have every one ever released.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H