Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin - New Shepard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. I had read it was about $1 billion a year. It’s up to twice that? I wonder how much longer Bezos is going to be willing to provide that support, as I question whether BO will ever be profitable. Or maybe that isn’t the plan…
Blue Origin may be Jeff's Twitter; he wanted to get into the rocket business, but while he was doing so, the rocket business completely changed. Now he has a company that isn't going to be able to compete unless he essentially duplicates Starship. It's going to be a Twiter albatross for a while. The government will continue to send money at his company because they don't want to be reliant on a single company (SpaceX) for national security, but I think they'll just limp* along unless they get as aggressive as SpaceX is.

*no pun intended

Huh, I didn't realize B.O. was founded 2 years before SpaceX
Yes, and yet SpaceX launched its first orbital class rocket just 4 years after the company started and in 6 years after starting succeeded in putting a payload in LEO.

On the other hand, after 23 years BO has not even launched an orbital class rocket much less put a payload in orbit. And we all know that during that time SpaceX has come to dominate the global launch industry, recovered and reused boosters so many times it’s easy to lose count (over 200) and put humans safely in orbit many times.

Next year, when BO does launch their first orbital class vehicle — which will only be partially reusable — in my opinion it is likely that SpaceX will succeed in reaching orbit with a completely reusable vehicle that has a much greater payload capacity and can be refueled in orbit.

The contrast is startling. And as objectionable as Elon can sometimes be, it is undeniable that he was, and continues to be, the driving force behind the success of SpaceX.

For some reason I brain-farted on this yesterday... watching the replay now.

Awesome it was successful... but man is the webcast chatter prior to T-0 cringe-worthy... Karman line... big windows... how they are gonna bring back all this cool moon-tech to earth, their cool new elevator.... now I'm forcing myself to not fast-forward just to see how bad it gets....

For some reason I brain-farted on this yesterday... watching the replay now.

Awesome it was successful... but man is the webcast chatter prior to T-0 cringe-worthy... Karman line... big windows... how they are gonna bring back all this cool moon-tech to earth, their cool new elevator.... now I'm forcing myself to not fast-forward just to see how bad it gets....
I couldn't find the official BO video. So I found this instead. I just fast forwarded to the launch and landing stuff.

Which is pretty much what I do with EA and NSF launch videos too.

Reactions: scaesare