Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin - New Shepard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BO hasn’t shared the findings or any progress towards that and that is puzzling - that is news

Therefore BO has something to hide and has a questionable leadership and culture - that is tabloid only fit for main stream media, not for Eric Burger.
@scaesare I believe that @Electroman was making the point that unfounded speculation (the second sentence in his post) is not “news” and that Eric Berger did not engage in such speculation.
Can you provide a reference for where Berger makes these claims? I see none in the article.

BO hasn’t shared the findings or any progress towards that and that is puzzling - that is news

No, it is exactly the opposite of news. BO not sharing findings or progress is literally exactly what anyone who has any degree of unbiased understanding about how Blue operates would have expected from this situation.

Therefore BO has something to hide and has a questionable leadership and culture

No. Do not simply fabricate nefarious attributes in order to support a false narrative. This isn't Fox News.

This is your opinion of what "anyone of sound mind" might expect. (Much like you wanted te tell us what "was reasonable" to think regarding the Artemis launch). Clearly, not everyone shares your opinion.

Instead of emotionally double and triple downing (not dissimilar to your tact in the Artemis launch discussion...) I'd encourage you to step back and objectively consider the difference between what you wish would have happened in this Blue anomaly timeline with what a rudimentary evaluation of Blue's well established and documented MO clearly outline what was going to happen. Then, for funsies, layer on the colloquial definition of insanity. You'll come to the conclusion that I present no opinion here. Blue being tight lipped and taking a long time to say anything about this anomaly was the only inevitable outcome.

Now, if Blue came out and tweeted insightful investigation progress (a la Elon) or published a major report on their anomaly review...that's headline news for sure and I'll be happy to eat hat.

But things change, and it turns out that many people prefer an organization that provides services to tax-payer-funded customers be a bit more open and transparent. Given that, expectations change, and organizations that don't may stand out.... and get an article or two written about them...

Sure, no problem. As long as the point of the article (or any reasonable permeation of reader interpretation) is simply an honest "I don't like the way Blue operates and they should change". As evidence by this discussion the subject article and its interpretation is...not.

Reactions: Grendal
Instead of emotionally double and triple downing (not dissimilar to your tact in the Artemis launch discussion...) I'd encourage you to step back and objectively consider the difference between what you wish would have happened in this Blue anomaly timeline with what a rudimentary evaluation of Blue's well established and documented MO clearly outline what was going to happen. Then, for funsies, layer on the colloquial definition of insanity.
Not sure why you are attributing my points to being "emotionally" motivated, when I'm stating that your attempting to make objective assertions about subjective things (i.e,- what "anybody of sound mind" must think) doesn't necessarily hold water. No emotion there, simply pointing out that fact that your categorical assertion isn't necessarily so.

Furthermore, I've not stated any "wishes [as to] what would have happened". Instead, I point out that your assertion that Berger's rehashing events of several months ago makes it un-newsworthy sensationalist journalism doesn't tell the whole story. A recent filing raised the issue again, and Berger points out the congressional requests and concerns where it is unknown if they've been complied with, despite a possible human launch.

Please explain how that is an emotional display of my wishes?

You'll come to the conclusion that I present no opinion here. Blue being tight lipped and taking a long time to say anything about this anomaly was the only inevitable outcome.

"Berger should really think about getting into tabloid journalism. Taking one old news event (some congressperson asking for transparency) and making it into a current article is more worthy of the Harry and Meghan saga than rockets." -- bxr140

Looks like opinion, no?

Now, if Blue came out and tweeted insightful investigation progress (a la Elon) or published a major report on their anomaly review...that's headline news for sure and I'll be happy to eat hat.

Sure, no problem. As long as the point of the article (or any reasonable permeation of reader interpretation) is simply an honest "I don't like the way Blue operates and they should change". As evidence by this discussion the subject article and its interpretation is...not.
Unsure if your definition of opinion is the one other folks are using. Berger offers no opinion in the article I can see. It relates the facts of what has happened. Several people in this thread found that it of interest hence providing evidence that it was indeed newsworthy. In turn, those folks hold their own opinions as to if they like the way BO operates. But that's what news does, right?

It’s surprising to me that the BO investigation is taking so long. It’s as if they can’t determine the cause of the “anomaly”.
BO can't do anything quickly, so why would this be any different? Not to mention that New Shepherd isn't exactly a money making business. Less flights means less losses :)

Just read the discussion of BO's propensity to remain secretive, so took another look at the Sept. 2022 launch video. They get points for showing their live feed, yet they were also quite prepared to keep any failure low key. Within a couple seconds of the anomaly, a different camera gave us only a tight closeup of the capsule. The booster disappeared for good. This was around Max-Q, which also coincided with throttle changes. While it appeared to be just an engine failure, suppose can't ignore possible high structural loads as a contributing factor. Not sure if anyone besides BO knows what happened to that booster after the camera cut away. About the breakup.....was there in-flight RUD or did it contact the desert floor still mostly intact? Either way, hard to fathom the puzzle pieces haven't given up some valuable clues.

Like the 60 seconds of radio silence that followed the booster failure, perhaps after 6 months BO felt it time to at least make some sort of a non committal public statement.

I think you can't blame the FAA for delays with SpaceX when it takes over a year for them to complete a BO mishap investigation.
Fair enough, but the BO “mishap” involved a vehicle that had made several flights carrying humans and was designed for the purpose (even though there were not any humans on the flight in question) so that should be a more intense investigation in that respect, in contrast to the Starship IFT-1 flight of a vehicle which is many many flights away from having people on board.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
I think you can't blame the FAA for delays with SpaceX when it takes over a year for them to complete a BO mishap investigation.
I thought we had determined from Rocknado that the company leads the investigation (in partnership with NASA, FAA, NTSB, ...)
So the mishap report timing could be a result of Blue Origin tracking down the issues and solutions. The March update from BO was only the main failure cause, not the 21 mitigation items.

Eric Berger reports: How long will Jeff Bezos continue to subsidize his New Shepard rocket?
Prior to the accident, the program averaged a flight roughly every eight to 10 weeks. Even doubling that cadence, it is very unlikely that New Shepard would come close to being revenue-neutral. As one person familiar with the company's finances told Ars, "It's definitely a money loser. Always has been." Another person told Ars that New Shepard is "hemorrhaging" money.

New Shepard is just one of many lines of business being pursued by Blue Origin. There is competition within the company for resources to build engines, big rockets, lunar landers, and even a space station. At Virgin Galactic, there is only suborbital space tourism. In other words, Blue Origin could end New Shepard and still be a major space company. At Virgin, it's the whole enchilada.

Berger estimates the New Shepard program costs BO about $100 million/year. Even for Bezos, that’s real money. But his ego probably won’t let him cancel the program.

When I originally quickly checked in on this thread a couple of days ago, I thought the claim was that B.O. was $100Mil. That seemed low but didn't have time to read the article.

That's JUST New Shepherd. I wonder what the total B.O. burn is... I believe Jeffrey alone has committed $1bil/ yr to it...

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
From that article:
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has funded Blue Origin out of his pocket, providing as much as $2 billion a year in operating expenses.
Wow. I had read it was about $1 billion a year. It’s up to twice that? I wonder how much longer Bezos is going to be willing to provide that support, as I question whether BO will ever be profitable. Or maybe that isn’t the plan…

From that article:

Wow. I had read it was about $1 billion a year. It’s up to twice that? I wonder how much longer Bezos is going to be willing to provide that support, as I question whether BO will ever be profitable. Or maybe that isn’t the plan…
With his current $170 billion, he could fund BO for another 80 years. I expect the money making rocket to launch within another year or two.