Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth goes in and out - 2 different names for the car showing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I've had a Model 3 Refresh for about 10 days now and have had a few problems with Bluetooth. I took me a while to figure out that I had to have "Bluetooth" turned on in the SETTINGS > Tesla on my iPhone. After that, the Bluetooth has dropped a few times. When this happens, the car unlocks with my phone in my pocket, but there's no longer a Bluetooth connection for music, etc. Trying to reconnect from the Bluetooth menu in the car doesn't succeed. When I look at the Bluetooth settings on my iPhone, there's one with a key icon and the name that I've given my car. There's a second Tesla listed as "Tesla Model 3 [name that I've given my car]. I figured I could delete that one, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. Anyone have any experience or ideas along these lines? Is the fact that there are two Teslas listed (I only have one) causing the Bluetooth to drop occasionally? Thank you.

The one with the key is completely separate from the other one (its the connection for Phone as key). That wouldnt be the reason bluetooth is dropping. make sure you are not swiping away the tesla app, try deleting the connection from both the car and the phone (not the key one, the other one).

Thanks. So it's normal to have two Bluetooth connections like that?

Yes, its normal. One is for the phone as key, and the other one is "to the car" for music, phone, etc.

It actually used to look a lot more confusing on the phone than it does now, because that 1 key connection actually is like 3-4 connections to the car or something, and they used to have random letters and numbers as the connection name.

Anyway, its Normal. I actually have 4 connections, because my wife and I both have Teslas (a 3 and a Y). Im looking at my iPhone right now, and it has one connection with my car name and a key, one for my wifes car name and a key, then a "Tesla model 3 (my car name)" and another one for "Tesla model Y (wifes car name)".

Yes, its normal. One is for the phone as key, and the other one is "to the car" for music, phone, etc.

It actually used to look a lot more confusing on the phone than it does now, because that 1 key connection actually is like 3-4 connections to the car or something, and they used to have random letters and numbers as the connection name.

Anyway, its Normal. I actually have 4 connections, because my wife and I both have Teslas (a 3 and a Y). Im looking at my iPhone right now, and it has one connection with my car name and a key, one for my wifes car name and a key, then a "Tesla model 3 (my car name)" and another one for "Tesla model Y (wifes car name)".
Awesome. Thank you. So I guess I'm still wondering why there's no Bluetooth connection (twice in the last two days) when I get in and drive the car.

Awesome. Thank you. So I guess I'm still wondering why there's no Bluetooth connection (twice in the last two days) when I get in and drive the car.

No idea.. I saw someone else mention something similar in the 2024 Highland MP3 Delivery thread though, so perhaps there is a firmware thing happening with bluetooth on new highland vehicles or something (pure speculation with no research, just spitballing).

Reactions: MAPekala