Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth transmitter than works with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
couldn't you theoretically add an aux input to a raspberry pi, have that recording to a format the car can understand as if it's usb audio (as if it were just a simple flash drive), and play it that way? that's what i've been thinking about and trying to figure out if there's a way to make it work, but i haven't had the time to really dive into it...
The USB audio support on the Teslas requires a file system in the USB drive. The file system is rescanned and certain information is stored in the car. You could probably supply fake files using the Raspberry pi, which would then feed the appropriate audio stream file data. But to do this for realtime line-in, I would think that it would be challenging. The Tesla USB interface determines the size of the file and you don't know ahead of time how big a real time stream is. You could fake a large size and then just keep on giving the USB interface realtime data, I suppose. You could create a single large fake file on the Raspberry "USB drive". You could then put the USB car interface in loop mode and every time they skip to the next song, you could present the next song or station from your real time source.

I had an Infiniti G37 that had Bluetooth phone but not streaming. And, also, no aux jack. I was super angry about this because it was a somewhat high end car. Anyway, I finally got over it and tried to hack around the problem. I won't bore you with the details of the several month long ordeal with several options tried including a lot of rewiring to hack into the XM input. After I finally had it working, the audio quality was marginal & it was unreliable & somewhat inconvenient. I finally broke down & bought a cheap Bluetooth to FM transmitter from Amazon and the sound quality was better than any other input including XM. It had the previously noted annoyance of occasional static & needing to find a new frequency but, overall, it was fine.

You might consider just doing it the easy way and see if that's good enough before you spend a lot of time on it. I haven't shopped in a while but I wonder if these kind of devices support HD radio yet. Another thought is to see if you can find a podcast app for your phone that's good enough even if it's not perfect.

I've done way too much research into this, and can state categorically that there are several non-phone bluetooth transmitters that will work with the model 3. However, using them is such a pain, that I gave up on them, and just stream stuff from my phone. BTW I highly recommend an app called Neutron - it can play just about any format file you throw at it, sounds great, has all the bells and whistles, and just basically works right.

The first thing I got working was a AGPTek Rocker V2 bluetooth audio player. It's a tiny ipod-like device that can play many file formats to an audio out or via bluetooth. It sounds great via bluetooth in the car, but the car doesn't remember it when you restart the car, so you have to reconnect it every time you get in the car.

What I really want is a way to connect my trusty old ipod (upgraded 5.5 with flash drive and rockbox and a really big battery) to the car, so I bought a bluetooth transmitter from amazon. A small taotronics one. It didn't work at all. So I bought another, newer taotronics one - no workee also (sort of - it would connect in receive mode, but not transmit, which is what you want). So at this point I was getting frustrated, and just bought like 5 different ones of different levels and prices, and proceeded to try them all. The one that worked was from 1Mii, their B03 model. And it only kind of worked - you had to connect with it in receive mode, every time you started the car (as the car wouldn't remember the connection), and then switch it to transmit, and then it would work. That's way too much work though - you would end up sitting and fiddling with the things for 3-5 minutes every time you started the car, which is a complete buzzkill in a cool high tech car like this.

BTW I would happily use the USB audio interface if it wan't COMPLETELY ****ED UP. Seriously there are 10-15 year old cars from the early days of USB audio that work better than this. Thankfully the tesla support team has told me that a major upgrade is in the works for it.
Have you tried the 1Mii ML300 too?

The smaller size better fits my use case.

I need to connect my laptop to a Bluetooth transmitter when playing a film in camp mode.

Thanks for your help.