Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Volume Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been searching for a little while now on this forum and others. My issue seems to be a bit different than one's I've seen so far.

Whenever I use my car's volume control it adjusts the Bluetooth volume on my phone. My previous car did not do this. It would simply just lower's the car's audio and not touch my phone's output volume. I do prefer to keep the output volume of the Bluetooth out of the red to avoid distortion. But also it's quite annoying as your phone volume is capped since it can't go beyond the max level of your phone.

Is this a bug? Is it not paired correctly? Is there some type of work around / solution to this issue that someone knows about? Thanks in advance.

I've been searching for a little while now on this forum and others. My issue seems to be a bit different than one's I've seen so far.

Whenever I use my car's volume control it adjusts the Bluetooth volume on my phone. My previous car did not do this. It would simply just lower's the car's audio and not touch my phone's output volume. I do prefer to keep the output volume of the Bluetooth out of the red to avoid distortion. But also it's quite annoying as your phone volume is capped since it can't go beyond the max level of your phone.

Is this a bug? Is it not paired correctly? Is there some type of work around / solution to this issue that someone knows about? Thanks in advance.
Try rebooting your phone.

Reactions: TimboSlice
>I do prefer to keep the output volume of the Bluetooth out of the red to avoid distortion.

Not a full answer to your question, but you should always allow Bluetooth volume on sending device to 100% (where controllable).
It's a digital signal so there is no distortion. There is no analog amplification on the sending source.

• Informative
Looks like after some more troubleshooting I found perhaps a temporary solution to my problem.

For Android phones, there is an option under the developer menu called Disable Absolute Volume. Apparently this term / verbiage is used elsewhere as well (e.g. PC's).

The way I set mine up was by enabling the setting first, then disconnecting from the car's Bluetooth. Afterwards I tested the volume in the car and it didn't adjust the Bluetooth volume on my phone anymore. Due to the Bluetooth volume on my phone being really low I did have to raise it to the desired setting while lowering the cars so I didn't blow my eardrums out.

And as before my phone saves the Bluetooth volume and Media volume separately like I want. Pretty happy right now. Thanks for everyone's replies.

always disable absolute volume on android if you want better control. i use poweramp and bypass the phones internals and route audio directly through it.

and you can get "digital distortion" (clipping) if you overdrive the signal, which is possible if you use an app like poweramp and turn up the RP gain. android user since 2008 and rocking a note 20 ultra 5g and fold 2 (unlocked as always).