Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Music and Key on different phones (question/help)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question on how to work with Bluetooth audio. My situation is very specific. I’m the primary driver for the car, with phone key setup for myself. My wife also has phone key and she very often rides with me. In the past she has run all the music through her phone. This leads to an odd situation where even if I unlock the car it switches to her driver profile when it connects to play music. Setting myself as the priority device wouldn’t work, because then it wouldn’t connect to her phone for music.

My IDEAL solution would be to use the built in Apple Music player, but the shuffle issue makes this really annoying.

Anyone have a fix or workaround to this problem?

What‘s the shuffle issue with Apple Music?

What’s the source of the music that you’re playing from your wife’s phone?
Music on her phone comes from Apple Music.

On the car Apple Music interface if you select shuffle on a playlist it will only shuffle within the first 100 songs, and will not play beyond those. It’s annoying because if you add a couple of albums to a playlist you will only ever hear the first few.

Music on her phone comes from Apple Music.

On the car Apple Music interface if you select shuffle on a playlist it will only shuffle within the first 100 songs, and will not play beyond those. It’s annoying because if you add a couple of albums to a playlist you will only ever hear the first few.
I haven’t encountered that specific shuffle issue, but there are other issues with Apple Music. Is there any reason you can’t play Apple Music from your phone (via Bluetooth)?

i can, but it’s just how we’ve always done it and it makes it more fun (for us) since I can call out requests and she DJs them up. Not a huge deal, just wondering if it was doable.

I might end up just picking my driver profile whenever i get in the car.

So does the bug not occur for you or does your use case for Apple Music make it not matter?

I haven’t noticed that particular bug, but I do use Apple Music to shuffle playlists with more than 100 songs so I’ll pay more attention next time to see if it’s actually happening to me.
From my experience it will shuffle within a page of results (which is about 100 songs) but it won't shuffle between pages. Apparently this is similar behavior to how it works on the web and on the PS5, but I don't use either of those so I cannot confirm.

I noticed that if I switched pages it would play within that page, but then, again, not move beyond it.

This wouldn't be an issue if my playlist were a bunch of songs kind of randomly added, but since it's usually whole albums it will tend to get stuck on individual artists, because one artist might have 100+ songs and they all got added together. It's a super weird bug, maybe more-so because it seems like an obvious "not how it should work" thing for the developers.

From my experience it will shuffle within a page of results (which is about 100 songs) but it won't shuffle between pages. Apparently this is similar behavior to how it works on the web and on the PS5, but I don't use either of those so I cannot confirm.

I noticed that if I switched pages it would play within that page, but then, again, not move beyond it.

This wouldn't be an issue if my playlist were a bunch of songs kind of randomly added, but since it's usually whole albums it will tend to get stuck on individual artists, because one artist might have 100+ songs and they all got added together. It's a super weird bug, maybe more-so because it seems like an obvious "not how it should work" thing for the developers.
I haven’t even noticed that there are pages, guess I never tried to scroll all the way through a playlist (in the car). The iOS and Mac versions of Apple Music don’t use pages, but I can see why the car and web versions might.

I haven’t even noticed that there are pages, guess I never tried to scroll all the way through a playlist (in the car). The iOS and Mac versions of Apple Music don’t use pages, but I can see why the car and web versions might.
From a display perspective I totally agree, it makes sense, but from a shuffle selection perspective it makes no sense.