Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_a027 Power limited ok to drive & BMS_a170 Acceleration and Top speed reduced [water damaged vehicle]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance.

This car was previously submerged in water and has the following error codes:

BMS_a027 Power limited ok to drive & BMS_a170 Acceleration and Top speed reduced (limp mode)

This car had an older operating system on it when I brought it. I drove the car for 6 months without the car going into Limp Mode. After going into the Tesla Service Center where they upgraded the car to the newest operating system. 1 week later this car went into limp mode.

I bought the toolbox 3 for 1 day and reset the High Voltage Battery Management System (HVBMS) which allowed me to drive the car again for 1 week before going back into limp mode.

After extensive research I learned that the car runs a scan over the high voltage system every time you open the door after it is in park and makes sure the ohms are above 1000 and if they are not for a certain number of times the car goes into Limp Mode permanently unless you reset the HVBMS.

I took the car to the Tesla Service Center and they told me there’s was a short in the rear drive unit and inverter so I completely disassembled those components and thoroughly inspect them. After doing so I found that the inverter board, the gears, and motor look brand new.

This leads me to believe that there is something going on in the car however I don’t know what it is. If you have experienced anything like this or have any thoughts I’m more than open to hearing them out.

The most extensive thread on flood damage vehicle etc I remember here is this one:

I just had my 2018 RWD LR in for service for those same codes and they replaced the drive unit inverter. Of course my car has never been submerged and only has 19k miles. I had just replaced the 12V battery though. From my internet search about this issue, a lot of the cars affected seem to be the 2018 model 3.

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance.

This car was previously submerged in water and has the following error codes:

BMS_a027 Power limited ok to drive & BMS_a170 Acceleration and Top speed reduced (limp mode)

This car had an older operating system on it when I brought it. I drove the car for 6 months without the car going into Limp Mode. After going into the Tesla Service Center where they upgraded the car to the newest operating system. 1 week later this car went into limp mode.

I bought the toolbox 3 for 1 day and reset the High Voltage Battery Management System (HVBMS) which allowed me to drive the car again for 1 week before going back into limp mode.

After extensive research I learned that the car runs a scan over the high voltage system every time you open the door after it is in park and makes sure the ohms are above 1000 and if they are not for a certain number of times the car goes into Limp Mode permanently unless you reset the HVBMS.

I took the car to the Tesla Service Center and they told me there’s was a short in the rear drive unit and inverter so I completely disassembled those components and thoroughly inspect them. After doing so I found that the inverter board, the gears, and motor look brand new.

This leads me to believe that there is something going on in the car however I don’t know what it is. If you have experienced anything like this or have any thoughts I’m more than open to hearing them out.
Hi, I have the same problem, I have the same 2018 performance, was also flooded, drove for 4 months without problems after replacing the BMS and wiring to the rear inverter, but one day I got the same insulation errors as you, how did you solve the problem?