Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3 at a Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Nice display of double standards in this forum. Whenever some journalist or whoever got stranded with a Tesla this forum was livid about how this person dared to drive a Tesla without prior extensive study of charging options, impact of weather on range etc. etc.
Yet when someone who drives a BMW is clueless, then it's all the fault of the dealer.

In this case, the i3 owner said the dealer had pointed him to the Supercharger station. So yes, if that is true then it is indeed the dealer's fault. Also quite obviously the dealer made no effort to educate the customer, e.g. on home charging. Probably because they had no clue.

I don't see how you can make a claim of a "double standard" based on this specific incident.

It's also quite ridiculous how this forum compares the Tesla to an i3 as if a price surcharge of some 60% were irrelevant.

Actually, people on this forum often complain about ludicrous comparisons such as that, made by auto journalists.

I am a thrilled new owner of a Caprice White metallic i3, with funky two-toned interior, and a 0-60 mph time that will make you respect this EV above any other - except maybe the Pearl White P85 Tesla my husband has ordered and anxiously awaits. Yes, we are soon to be a two EV family, and I am grateful BMW broke the mold with the i3, making it possible for us to fully commit to this lifestyle.

Those of you who criticize the i3 don't know any better, is all I can assume. If you're commenting on the appearance of the i3, you don't know it just won both the prestigious World Car Design of the Year award and World Green Car of 2014; yes, it defies what one has come to expect inside a car, with its minimalist sculpted renewable eucalyptus wood dash (grown in a field behind the wind-powered factory in Leipzig!), its far-out vegetable-based plastic-ish material, and its total lack of new car outgassing smell. The visibility in this car is the best I've ever experienced. The headroom and overall sense of spaciousness is calming and avoids feeling like emptiness. The technology, while certainly not being in the league of Tesla, is on par with the highest level BMW's (which, having owned a 2010 X5M, we are happy to see... that iDrive really needed the improvement it received), and have you seen how my car finds a parking space on a bustling urban street and parallel parks itself???

A hippie friend of mine recently traded her family's cars for one Leaf and one Prius. I had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in a (slooowwwww) ride to the mountains with her and it was all that was spoken about for an hour. Finally she asked me if I would consider an electric car. My reply? No way. I like to drive - fast. Not willing to sacrifice the fun of zippy speed and handling for the cause. Sorry.

This car is a BEAST on the road, seriously. My husband and I had a little drag race on a straightaway, he in his 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, I in my i3. The i3 held her own, let me tell you. If you had been behind the wheel of this car, I can assure you, you would not be comparing it to a Leaf. This car doesn't just handle well compared to sluggish EV's for people who are happy to slowly trudge the road of the no-emission future, but compared to non-EV's as well.

This car is a blast to drive, and I would highly recommend it for anyone who cannot afford the Tesla, or who doesn't want to be in a big (sorry, as much as I love and respect it), serious-looking sedan. Sure, Tesla kicks the ass of most cars on the road, and their business model is beyond... but all that and price tags aside...... I would still rather have my i3. I will love and respect that P85 Model S when we go out for dinner, or on a road trip, but for my day-to-day in-and-out of traffic, in-and-out of car life, this is the best possible fit.

I am so happy there is a high-level EV out there for people like me, and am a little disappointed to hear such uninformed negative banter about it here on a Tesla forum. Until Tesla shows me the smaller, less pricey Model III, I'll be happily (and quickly) zipping into the future in my i3.

As for the ignorance of charging options, my BMW techie guy was inspired, informed, and really drove home the importance of charging awareness. I think this person blamed the dealership to protect his own ego.

@andiwithani, thank you for your spirited and well-worded post! Every EV on the road is a positive step toward oil-independence. Although I have made some less-than-complimentary posts about the i3's appearance -- beauty after all is in the eye of the beholder -- I do admire the innovative composite body pieces and interior materials.

Did you get the Rex version? What kind of EV range numbers are you getting?

I am so happy there is a high-level EV out there for people like me, and am a little disappointed to hear such uninformed negative banter about it here on a Tesla forum. Until Tesla shows me the smaller, less pricey Model III, I'll be happily (and quickly) zipping into the future in my i3.

As for the ignorance of charging options, my BMW techie guy was inspired, informed, and really drove home the importance of charging awareness. I think this person blamed the dealership to protect his own ego.

If you reread the thread, there are very few negative comments about the i3 itself. Most are about the dealer. I do agree that uninformed negative banter is disappointing here, but reasoned criticism should be welcomed.

I believe you that you had a good dealer experience, but assuming that the subject of the original post is at fault is misplaced. Without other evidence, in this case, it is most likely the dealers fault.

I have been to many car dealers, and their knowledge of their own product and integrity span the entire possible spectrum. I met a very wise and knowledgable salesman who helped me choose a car I would be happy with ( he turned out to be very near retirement ). I met slick scumbags who told completely different lies about the same car to different people on consecutive days. I met salesman who didn't know the basic facts from the brochures about the cars they were selling.

Buying an EV necessitates a conversation about how and where to charge. Any dealer with integrity will make sure the buyer fully understands this before selling the car. It is in the best interest of entities that want to sell EVs ( both the manufacturer and dealers ) to make sure they do that so that stories like this do not happen. Letting someone leave the dealership with an EV without a plan for home charging, and only a vague and incorrect idea of where and what public charging is - is lacking in integrity and a bad long term business practice.
Stories like this are bad for EVs in general, not just BMW, but unfortunately I think we will see more over time.

, you don't know it just won both the prestigious World Car Design of the Year award and World Green Car of 2014;
I could not care less about the number of *** awards it gets. It is and remains Fuggly ClownMobil, a poor excuse for a car.

It still paints that WRONG picture of EVS being silly and dorky quadwheelers. In this way it HARMs the EV's longterm success as a viable option.
BMW could do much better, It already produced a much better car in its ActiveE test project. To bad almost all of them went straight to scrapyards ..

And don't argue about it being a city car - a 40k for a car that is ONLY good for short trips? For 40k? Really? Pathetic.

Please don't start talking about the merits of the i3 in this thread. There is a BMW i3 thread already. Post that stuff over there.

This thread is specifically about the guy who tried to Supercharge his i3. Anything else is off-topic and will just make work for the moderators. And we don't appreciate that!

I wonder how much a ticket for handicap parking is? Wouldn't it be great to have a J1772 extension cord in those situations?

Sure it would've been handy in this specific situation, but it would do nothing to help an unresponsive / unhelpful BMW dealer. :) And that's sort of my point (and many others on this thread): nothing against the i3 itself, and there are certainly some BMW dealers who are treating the i3 as a first-class product on the same level as their other vehicles. But the dealers that don't, are doing a major disservice to their customers and to EV adoption in general. Sure, the i3 owner referenced in the OP probably should have done more research, and his local dealer should have at least pointed him toward some helpful charging resources and recommended a home charger. If nothing else, a home charger could be an up-sell item for dealers. I'd hate to lump it in with extended warranties, pin stripes, scotch-guarded seats, etc., but any dealer selling the i3 (or any EV) has an incentive to encourage the buyer to charge at home when that's feasible.

In this case, the i3 owner said the dealer had pointed him to the Supercharger station. So yes, if that is true then it is indeed the dealer's fault. Also quite obviously the dealer made no effort to educate the customer, e.g. on home charging. Probably because they had no clue.

Perhaps the dealer had pointed him towards the Supercharger station, perhaps he didn't. Given that this man doesn't seem to have bothered to inform himself in even the most cursory way (BMW's website informs on home charging) despite buying himself a car with a completely different technology, I wouldn't put too much trust in his claims.
He also seems to be someone who goes ballistic after being confronted with a bit of a learning curve. Do you really want to have that guy buying a Tesla? What do you believe he would have yelled after a main battery pack failure? "I should have bought a f....ing Toyota?"

I could not care less about the number of *** awards it gets. It is and remains Fuggly ClownMobil, a poor excuse for a car.

It still paints that WRONG picture of EVS being silly and dorky quadwheelers. In this way it HARMs the EV's longterm success as a viable option.
And don't argue about it being a city car - a 40k for a car that is ONLY good for short trips? For 40k? Really? Pathetic.

Yes, I'm sure that your brand zealotry will do a lot to promote EV mobility...
BTW, how about a 100k € Tesla that has difficulties to keep up with a 25k € Golf on long motorway trips? Is that pathetic as well?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sure that your brand zealotry will do a lot to promote EV mobility...
EV mobility is promoted by cars that look and function like cars.
And by cars that don't need excuses like "city cars".

BTW, how about a 100k € Tesla that has difficulties to keep up with a 25k € Golf on long motorway trips? Is that pathetic as well?
Pathetic is such FUDstering. Tesla does not have any difficulties on motorways. i3 on the other hand ...

i3 at the supercharger in Germany

Same thing happened on my side of the pond. German motor journalist appeared at the Tesla Supercharger in Jettingen-Scheppach and tried to get a charge. The fun part is, Tesla made the EU supercharger plug look like a Mennekes (type 2) plug. I don't know if the poor guy tried to make the connection, or if it is possible to insert the plug at all.

He had to resort to the nearby standard type 2, 22kW, 3 phase AC EVSE, not understanding why the i3 would charge only at 7.4kW when the EVSE can deliver 22kW.
file.php?id=4486.jpg

I've started to move any posts not directly related to the Supercharger incident over to BMW i3 so if you don't see your response here, look over there.

If this gets out of hand I'll just merge the two threads and be done with it.

If you want to respond to something in this thread over there, I recommend you use the quoting feature.

Exactly. Nice display of double standards in this forum. Whenever some journalist or whoever got stranded with a Tesla this forum was livid about how this person dared to drive a Tesla without prior extensive study of charging options, impact of weather on range etc. etc.
Yet when someone who drives a BMW is clueless, then it's all the fault of the dealer.

It's also quite ridiculous how this forum compares the Tesla to an i3 as if a price surcharge of some 60% were irrelevant.

What are you talking about? This forum has a wide range of opinions, as shown by this thread alone, many of which express sympathy for the BMW driver. However, if you somehow expect a Tesla forum not to be bias towards Teslas, then you clearly have not read internet forums on vehicles, or any other items, for that matter. Your "holier than thou" attitude has no basis in reality.