TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Boca Chica SpaceX Launch Site

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Here is a thread covering the upcoming Boca Chica Texas launch site. This will be SpaceX's fourth launch site and the only one that they own and completely control. The other launch sites are:

SLC-40 at Cape Kennedy in Florida
    LC-39A at Cape Canaveral in Florida
    SLC-4E at Vandenberg AFB in California

The site has only been moved dirt up until now and a lot has been done to the site in recent months. There is a big tracking dish in the background on the right. This building is called the Stargate building.

stargate.jpg

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 4
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for starting this thread and posting that photo. I have been wondering about that site.

How did you get that photo? I assume you did not travel to Boca Chica TX. But knowing your location, and your enthusiasm for SpaceX, maybe you did...

3. TLej

TLej Little-Known Member

@Grendal Thanks for all the SpaceX posts - saves me a lot of random searching and I find many things in your posts I would never have heard of otherwise. Appreciated.

BTW, how many chevrons will the Stargate building have when complete? ;)

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

There is a Boca Chica SpaceX Facebook group that posts a lot of stuff to the SpaceX Public Facebook page. This is one of their recent postings. I have a lot of free time at work to see the various sources of information and share them here. All the credit for the work goes to the Boca Chica people that post information and pictures and allow me to repost them here.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

My pleasure. The ongoing statement from SpaceX insiders is that they expect the Boca Chica site to come online in 2018.

The standard amount of chevrons but the gate address is a closely held secret. :)

Since SpaceX has a lot of nerdy geeky people, I wouldn't be surprised if the completed building has life sized Stargate somewhere on the premises.

• Like x 1
  7. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

That looks like it's from the Pad abort test in May 2015 at LC-40. Nice shot looking back toward the VAB, I don't think I've seen it before either.

Here are a couple clips from that test for those that didn't catch them.

• Like x 1
  8. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

Their program logo/patch is styled in a familiar looking shape. :)
    [​IMG]
    UTRGV - The Spacecraft Tracking and Astronomical Research into Giga-hertz Astrophysical Transient Emission (STARGATE)

• Like x 1
  9. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I'd never been aware of this launch site before I saw this thread- cool pics and info, thanks all!
    Why does Spacex need another site? Looks expensive to build!
    The Dragon photo is awesome.
    (Really looking forward to the launch in a couple of days time - SpaceX RTF FTW!!)

• Like x 1
  10. Mike1080i

Mike1080i Member

There are a few reasons, but one is that they will get slightly more performance flying GTO missions out of Boca Chica, TX. At 26 degrees North latitude it is 2.5 degrees closer to the equator than Cape Canaveral, FL. That means a bit more 'free' velocity provided by the Earth's rotation, so for the same propellant more payload mass can ride to orbit.

• Informative x 1
  11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Boca Chica has been delayed one year and is now expected to be completed in 2019.

Peter B. de Selding on Twitter

• Informative x 2