Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Pad Abort Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX crew capsule completes dramatic abort test | Spaceflight Now

This article has an interview of Elon from after the test.

Speaking to reporters a few hours after the abort demo, Musk said one of the capsule’s SuperDraco engines underperformed, blaming an abnormal fuel mixture ratio. He characterized the glitch as minor.

“All eight engines don’t need to work in order for the launch abort to be successful,” Musk said. “It can actually work with as few as four of the engines working. It has engine-out capability in the launch abort as well.”

Elon seems super happy with the results.

I assume that means the thrust ended 8 seconds earlier than expected.

It actually doesn't. Splash down was supposed to occur at T+107 seconds, but actually occurred at T+99 seconds. This happened because the test vehicle didn't reach it's expected max altitude due to problems with one of the eight engines. Lower max altitude means less time floating down on parachutes. Thrust correctly ran until fuel depletion.

Article: Dragon 2 conducts Pad Abort leap in key SpaceX test | NASASpaceFlight.com

Article quotes:
The abort burn was terminated once all the propellant had been consumed, resulting in the Dragon coasting for just over 15 seconds to its highest point about 1500 meters (.93 mi) above the launch pad.

At around T+35 seconds, the three main parachutes deployed and further slowed the spacecraft before splashdown, which concluded the test. This mark was predicted to occur at T+107 seconds.

Per the actual test, the splashdown was marked at T+99 seconds and appeared to be closer to the shore than expected.

Congratulations Space X on making us one small step closer to becoming non-Earth bound

Capsule seems to rock violently before stabilizing, I assume everyone and everything inside is tightly fastened to walls

Before the test launch I read that the Dragon was supposed to rotate after separating, putting heat shield forward. But I think the real reason was to point the drogue chute downwind when it was released. After that point they don't really care which way the capsule is pointing because the chute will take care of that.

As for rocking around, I'm quite certain the 4g ejection sequence would be far more rock-and-roll than the modest spin at the end.

Curious as to why they take the "trunk" in the abort sequence. I remember the old Mercury and Apollo launch escape towers used to just pull the capsule off. (Gemini had no escape tower... they used ejection seats for the 2 astronauts). I wonder if it's for stability since the thrust is coming from the lower part of the capsule and not from a rocket pulling it from the top???

Launch_escape_system_diagram.jpg

It actually doesn't. Splash down was supposed to occur at T+107 seconds, but actually occurred at T+99 seconds. This happened because the test vehicle didn't reach it's expected max altitude due to problems with one of the eight engines. Lower max altitude means less time floating down on parachutes. Thrust correctly ran until fuel depletion.

Was this still within the expected acceptable range of test limits? Did they effectively pass this test?
EM seem happy enough to indicate this to be the case?

From 1:09 to 1:16 in that video -- wondering if we are seeing what's left of the Dragon Trunk just off the coastline on the beach? Especially in the last couple seconds of that range, it looks like there's some object in the surf as the camera-view rotates up...

In that FB group someone posted this photo of what I assume is the Crew Dragon test capsule at KSC in Florida. I had not seen this photo before. Pretty cool.

15894581_380495232299981_866653039658111684_n.jpg
That looks like it's from the Pad abort test in May 2015 at LC-40. Nice shot looking back toward the VAB, I don't think I've seen it before either.

Here are a couple clips from that test for those that didn't catch them.

Reactions: Yuri_G and Grendal
That looks like it's from the Pad abort test in May 2015 at LC-40. Nice shot looking back toward the VAB, I don't think I've seen it before either.

Here are a couple clips from that test for those that didn't catch them.
Man that looked like quite the ride! When escaping a RUD, that is to be expected.

Did anyone else hear that Eropeam Starling at end of the first video? #isItJustMe