Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boeing Starliner First Crewed Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't feel that way. Certainly that has happened in the past, but past missions, past employees, past management, past culture are not a reflection of today. The past is a good reason to have it on a checklist and make sure that the people making those choices think about it.
But until shown otherwise I don't see any reason to question the decision making that was made at the time.

My guess/hope is that there has been so much poor execution from Boeing in the past few years that pressure is along the lines of "don't kill any more people". Any engineering project has a list of known issues that are minor enough to ship anyhow. I hope this was one of the same, and I hope that nothing happens that would cause any need for an investigation to ask that question. Until then, ship it.
I've just never heard of a spacecraft/rocket launch being performed with issues known prior to launch that is also carrying humans onboard.

Reactions: Grendal
Eric Berger:After a drama-filled day, Boeing’s Starliner finally finds its way

In the immediate hours after launch on Wednesday, the spacecraft was beset by two helium leaks in its propulsion system. Then, on Thursday, several of Starliner's spacecraft thrusters went offline for a time. Far more often than originally planned, spacecraft commander Butch Wilmore had to take manual control of Starliner while engineers on the ground worked on these and other issues.
So logically it then follows that:
"We accomplished a lot, and really more than expected," said Mark Nappi, vice president and manager of Boeing's Commercial Crew Program, during a post-docking news conference. "We just had an outstanding day."
Just as Shakespeare put it:
KATHERINE
The moon? The sun! It is not moonlight now.

PETRUCHIO
I say it is the moon that shines so bright.
Moon, sun, whatever.

Reactions: Grendal
Read the Boeing spokesman quote at the end of the article and I'm thinking "space is hard - there are no small problems. Especially when it has to do with propulsion".

I do hope they figure it out and start doing their 6 contracted missions. Success on their part will provide NASA and the rest of the industry two points for comparison for companies that have gotten through the development and into the production / operation on this commercial crewed flight contract. I figure that at bare minimum it'll help themselves as well as other companies do a better job with their bids. We want the companies to be successful, to make money, and expand capability to get to space.

We want the companies to be successful, to make money, and expand capability to get to space.
Well, I doubt it'll include Boeing.

“We have a couple of fixed-price development programs we have to just finish and never do them again,” Calhoun said at the Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference, an investment conference in New York. “That fixed-price development world has to stop. It just doesn’t work. It doesn’t work for us, and it doesn’t work for our customers in my not-so-humble opinion.”

It'll fall to SpaceX, Blue Origin, Firefly, Stoke, and so on. There are lots of companies that think they can do it right.

Success on their part will provide NASA and the rest of the industry two points for comparison for companies that have gotten through the development and into the production / operation on this commercial crewed flight contract.
Boeing aerospace has no chance of being successful in a fixed price environment, and as the quote @JB47394 posted makes clear, Boeing has admitted that. But the fixed price environment is here to stay because SpaceX has demonstrated it can work and there are massive cost savings. Other commercial space companies will also succeed in the future.

It’s a new era. If Boeing can complete their six contracted crew flights that is all they will do and then they will end the Starliner program because they will have lost billions on it. But I’m not convinced they will be able to complete their contract.

It’s a new era. If Boeing can complete their six contracted crew flights that is all they will do and then they will end the Starliner program because they will have lost billions on it. But I’m not convinced they will be able to complete their contract.
I am betting that Boeing will find an elegant and somewhat face saving way to end the contract without completing all the flights. They could probably do 3 or 4 human flights and then pay SpaceX to fulfill the remaining seats and lose less money. However, I don't think that qualifies as "somewhat face saving". ;)

But the fixed price environment is here to stay because SpaceX has demonstrated it can work and there are massive cost savings. Other commercial space companies will also succeed in the future.
I temper that with the fact that the only going concern in private spaceflight right now is SpaceX, and that's a private company. We can't see their financials, and we don't know what makes the company viable. They were a first mover. They're building out Starlink, and that's providing them with a lot of operating revenue. Every spaceflight company can't put up a satellite constellation. Every spaceflight company can't have the financial backing of an Elon Musk or a Jeff Bezos. It's interesting that Jeff is also planning to put up a satellite constellation, but he's doing it through Amazon, not Blue Origin.

So I'd say that we don't know what the recipe is to have a successful spaceflight company. There may only be sufficient business for one, particularly in manned spaceflight, despite the enthusiasm, skill and determination of other up-and-coming companies. They're already complaining about being shouldered out by SpaceX. Is SpaceX being anticompetitive, or simply trying to survive in a tight business environment?

Dave Calhoun may be right on target that an American corporation cannot operate on fixed-price contracts because the US Government doesn't pay enough to make it worth a corporation's time. It may only be practical for billionaire-backed enterprises. There are two of those, and they're run by middle ages men. Will it all grind to a halt in 20 or 30 years? Elon will be 72-82 and Jeff will be 80-90.

Last edited:
A fifth helium leak, albeit a small one.

To put things into perspective:

NASA said June 10 that engineers estimate that Starliner has enough helium to support 70 hours of flight operations, while only seven hours is needed for Starliner to return to Earth.

A fifth helium leak, albeit a small one.

To put things into perspective:
While these are manageable, the problem is that they reduce the ability to manage other small issues. Ie they erode the margin of safety of the entire mission. These leaks require manual interventions, turning on and off valves and even manually docking the ship to the ISS, all of which take time away from being able to do other things, and increase the risk of performing these manual adjustments incorrectly.

"NASA is delaying the return of the Starliner spacecraft four days from orbit for … reasons."
GQCRaBXbEAQsPfx.jpg