Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Rear Hatch Seems Misaligned/Not Flush With Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I recently noticed on my new Model Y that the passenger side of the rear hatch seems to be not flush with the roof. Here are pictures of the passenger side, which I think the hatch sits much lower than the roof:

IMG_4963.jpeg

IMG_4964.jpeg
IMG_4968.jpeg

However, the drivers side seems to be just fine?:

IMG_4965.jpeg
IMG_4966.jpeg

Which side is the "normal" side? I would like to schedule a service appointment to make both sides the same, but I'm not sure which side should serve as the normal "baseline".

P.S. When I look at the vehicle from the back, I do see that the passenger side roof glass seems to sit higher than the rear windshield due to this:

IMG_4967.jpeg

The important issue is ”Does it leak”? If it doesn’t then it isn’t important. You can use a garden hose and see if it leaks inside.

My Model Y looks like that, and early VIN, but it does not leak, nor does make noticeable wind noise. I’m pretty sure it does not reduce battery efficiency very much.

When you open the trunk, you can see that it overlays the water diversion channel that keeps water out. So the gap usually does not cause leaking to the interior problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: dzajic
Upvote 0
Leaking is only one criterion. The visual aesthetic of alignment is just as important.

Realigning the upper end of the hatch would change the lower alignment around the taillights, right? Could you post a photo of that area?

If my hatch had that much gap, I would have it realigned, but that is clearly a matter of opinion.

Upvote 0
Leaking is only one criterion. The visual aesthetic of alignment is just as important.

Realigning the upper end of the hatch would change the lower alignment around the taillights, right? Could you post a photo of that area?

If my hatch had that much gap, I would have it realigned, but that is clearly a matter of opinion.

@Pianewman this is how my lower alignments around taillights look:
IMG_4969.jpeg

Upvote 0