Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Both Key Fobs stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the car this morning to leave for work and noticed that the car didn't unlock. Tried pressing unlock on key fob but that didn't work. Went upstairs to get the other key fob to try. The second key fob didn't work either. Unlocked car with mobile app. Key fob not in car message after entering car. Put fob on center console location near USB ports. Still not recognized. Drove to Tesla service by starting car with Mobile app. Tesla service said the car didn't recognize the key fobs and they are reprogramming car firmware to fix. I'll know more when its done. Service center mentioned that this has happened before but they don't know what causes it. Hopefully it's just a fluke. Anyone else experience this?

Weird but the same happened to me today. Only tried one fob. Not recognized when I approached the car. Pressing the top of the fob only caused the parking lights to flash. Pressed the driver door handle. No luck. Pressed the back of the fob twice and the trunk opened and all the handles came out. Like I say, weird. Have not tried driving yet.

I went to the car this morning to leave for work and noticed that the car didn't unlock. Tried pressing unlock on key fob but that didn't work. Went upstairs to get the other key fob to try. The second key fob didn't work either. Unlocked car with mobile app. Key fob not in car message after entering car. Put fob on center console location near USB ports. Still not recognized. Drove to Tesla service by starting car with Mobile app. Tesla service said the car didn't recognize the key fobs and they are reprogramming car firmware to fix. I'll know more when its done. Service center mentioned that this has happened before but they don't know what causes it. Hopefully it's just a fluke. Anyone else experience this?

Service Center response:
"Inspection found that security module was not communicating with the key fobs, no DTC's
were found pertaining to this, reset SEC module and found functions to be operational.
Continued to check function and found no more instances of failure."

Can you open yout trunk or frunk from 75 feet away from the car? If not, there is a communication problem. Mine, as delivered from the factory, could not do that. It barely worked with the fob next to the car. They finally replaced the fob transceiver and antenna in the car and fixed my problem.

Can you open yout trunk or frunk from 75 feet away from the car? If not, there is a communication problem. Mine, as delivered from the factory, could not do that. It barely worked with the fob next to the car. They finally replaced the fob transceiver and antenna in the car and fixed my problem.

As far is opening the trunk, I'd come out of the grocery store and hit the trunk from at least 50 feet away without issue.
Apparently resetting the SEC module (Security module) cleaned up the issue.

Weird but the same happened to me today. Only tried one fob. Not recognized when I approached the car. Pressing the top of the fob only caused the parking lights to flash. Pressed the driver door handle. No luck. Pressed the back of the fob twice and the trunk opened and all the handles came out. Like I say, weird. Have not tried driving yet.

Followup: Since the one glitch yesterday all has worked fine several times since. No idea what caused the initial situation. Just glad it's behind me.