Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Key fob not detected" during Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that Smart Summon is Beta and tends to crash into things, so I don't intend to use that. Therefor this question is considered with plain summon.

When I try to use Summon on my 2018 MS, the app gives back the "key fob not detected" and nothing else happens. I have even replaced the battery in the keyfob, which measured at 3.21V.
If I stay REALLY close to the car, like right next to the driver door handle, then it worked during most of my test. Which of course doesn't make much sense, as if I can stand next to the door, then I don't need summon in the first place.

When I tested, most of the time I was standing approx 1.5m from the back left corner of the car. Then the car gave the "key fob not detected". However from the same position, I can of course open the car with pressing a key on the fob. So I would say it is well within car range.

What is the experience of others? Are there any directions from the car where the coverage is bigger, and can the summon be used in real, simple use cases? (like driving/reversing in/out of a narrow parking space)

Another question: how the user supposed to park with summon? I understand you need to set the car facing straight the parking space. But during normal summon, will the car perform small correction with the steering wheel if needed, or will crash into the neigboring car if you didn't position the car perfectly parallel with the other cars? So basically my question whether plain summon can be trusted (not like Smart Summon)

This is an especially relevant question, as you probably want to use the Summon to park mostly when the place is narrow to start with, so it is not straightforward to aim the car perfectly.

I understand that Smart Summon is Beta and tends to crash into things, so I don't intend to use that. Therefor this question is considered with plain summon.

When I try to use Summon on my 2018 MS, the app gives back the "key fob not detected" and nothing else happens. I have even replaced the battery in the keyfob, which measured at 3.21V.
If I stay REALLY close to the car, like right next to the driver door handle, then it worked during most of my test. Which of course doesn't make much sense, as if I can stand next to the door, then I don't need summon in the first place.

When I tested, most of the time I was standing approx 1.5m from the back left corner of the car. Then the car gave the "key fob not detected". However from the same position, I can of course open the car with pressing a key on the fob. So I would say it is well within car range.

What is the experience of others? Are there any directions from the car where the coverage is bigger, and can the summon be used in real, simple use cases? (like driving/reversing in/out of a narrow parking space)

Another question: how the user supposed to park with summon? I understand you need to set the car facing straight the parking space. But during normal summon, will the car perform small correction with the steering wheel if needed, or will crash into the neigboring car if you didn't position the car perfectly parallel with the other cars? So basically my question whether plain summon can be trusted (not like Smart Summon)

This is an especially relevant question, as you probably want to use the Summon to park mostly when the place is narrow to start with, so it is not straightforward to aim the car perfectly.

When you use your app to summon, it no longer needs your fob.

In theory, it's just like "autopilot" that can avoid obstacles but with very slow speed.

In reality, both highway autopilot and slow summon can hit obstacles.

That's why Tesla has dropped radar an Ultrasonic sensors in hope of attaining obstacle avoidance competency.

Reactions: bumcurriculum
Does that mean that the "fob only" summon should work as well? As of the user manual, that requires to turn off "require continous press" in the summon settings.
However, I don't have that setting at all anywhere.

I forgot to mention this is an EU car, so that might be the reason for the differences.

I still don't know though what should I do to get rid of the "key fob not detected" error :(

Yes. I have 2017 Model X. You only need 1 out of 2 but not both.

Does that mean that the "fob only" summon should work as well? As of the user manual, that requires to turn off "require continous press" in the summon settings.
However, I don't have that setting at all anywhere.

I forgot to mention this is an EU car, so that might be the reason for the differences.

I still don't know though what should I do to get rid of the "key fob not detected" error :(
Sounds like US vs Euro differences.

It's possible that it requires in-car summon: Driver must be inside the car with a fob.

As far as I see, these are the relevant information from the local user manual for plain summon:
-the car can move maximum 12 meters
- a key fob must be "within range"
- phone must be connected with bluetooth to the car

So for me the critical part appears to be the fob being within range. The problem is that it only appears to be within range if I stand right next to the driver door handle...

As far as I see, these are the relevant information from the local user manual for plain summon:
-the car can move maximum 12 meters
- a key fob must be "within range"
- phone must be connected with bluetooth to the car

So for me the critical part appears to be the fob being within range. The problem is that it only appears to be within range if I stand right next to the driver door handle...
This YouTube solved the fob problem by placing it on the outside of the windshield.

Reactions: bumcurriculum