Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used Tesla Model S from a dealership (not Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

toaplan

Supporting Member
Jun 8, 2024
California
So I'm part of the Tesla family now, it's only a 2015 S 85D with low miles, but I'm having a ton of fun with it. One thing I should note when I bought it, the dealership said it's required to sell me a lojack as part of the buy. We didn't want it, but if it was required then whatever. So it was included. It never worked, it was supposed to be installed into the ODB socket of the car, but they hacked it in to the HV system which seemed to cause odd problems, so I had Tesla take it out, car is working fine ever since. I called the dealership and said I wanted my money back for the lojack cause it never worked and apparently (after a little digging) it's illegal to require something like a lojack, so they refunded my money.

It wasn't a "small value" either, it was almost $1000. So just a little warning for people that buy these used :)

Glad to meet you!

The LoJack sounds like a typical ‘con’ action, especially since the car has built in and very effective tracking via the native Tesla app. Never heard of a LoJack being required for any new or used vehicle purchase in CA and I’ve bought many of each.
Nice to meet you too! Yup, that's what we figured. Amazing what people do to make a quick buck.

Glad to meet you!

The LoJack sounds like a typical ‘con’ action, especially since the car has built in and very effective tracking via the native Tesla app. Never heard of a LoJack being required for any new or used vehicle purchase in CA and I’ve bought many of each.

I have seen it plenty of times out here in CA... but the "Required" needs to have the words "by the dealership selling the car" after it.

Meaning, its not actually required, its something a dealership tries to tack on, just like a "dealer installed car alarm" or "dealer installed vin etching on windows (for hundreds of dollars), or "dealer maintenance plan" or any other "dealer" thing.

I am just happy that this OPs story seems to have a fairly happy ending, in that they got tesla to take out a "hacked on" lojack, AND that the "hacking on" of it did not seem to cause any other problems (yet), AND that they were able to get their money back from the shady dealership that told them it was "required", and left off "by us".

Reactions: toaplan