Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought the 6-50 NEMA adapter and it says 30A on the plug but charges at 32A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is weird, Tesla sells a plug adapter that has a 30A rating to deliver 32A? Is this ok? I bought it since my ChargePoint charger also uses this plug. Good for a backup level 2 charging.

oops it says 250V, sort of missed that. I guess its good for 240v 32A. :p

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_101811.jpg
    IMG_20190209_101811.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 59
This is weird, Tesla sells a plug adapter that has a 30A rating to deliver 32A? Is this ok? I bought it since my ChargePoint charger also uses this plug. Good for a backup level 2 charging.

oops it says 250V, sort of missed that. I guess its good for 240v 32A. :p

So I noticed the same thing before I bought my car. Depending on the series of the adapter version some said 30 and some said 32.

They all operate at 32.

I contacted Tesla and they assure me this is fine.

I am guessing it may be a regulatory/testing game. If you rate it at 32a it has to be tested at like 10% over that since UL assumes a device using it won’t use precisely 32a. A Tesla on the other hand will use precisely 32a since it is digitally controlled. So my best guess is that they are playing he game of having it rated to 30a and that the Tesla then is programmed to draw 32a which is in a 10% tolerance threshold.

I posted a bunch about this back before I got my car in January. There are probably threads about it you can find in google search using my username. site:teslamotorsclub.com