Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake bleeding, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend I did a small bit of car maintenance (because it didn't rain for once!) - among other things, I bled the brakes because I didn't know for sure when they were last done. The color wasn't too bad, not fresh clean/clear but I've seen much much worse.

Rears required taking the tires/wheels off to get access, bummer. Fronts you can do by just reaching in between the wheel spokes. Hardest part was getting my assistant into the car, they aren't used to the low entry :)

Surprising how much I can notice improvement in the brakes, I wonder if perhaps there was some air in one of the lines.

While the pass. side rear wheel was off, I found yet another lose bolt for holding down the PEM (from it's replacement last June I believe). That's 2 bolts and a ground not re-connected/installed by the SC that replaced that PEM. Disappointing, hoping that's the worst I'll ever find.. I guess it pays to look after your own car now and again.

Precautions
1. Brake fluid will eat through paint. If you spill any on the bodywork, wipe it off immediately with a wet rag.

2. When you jack the car up, be careful.

3. Test the brakes before you put the wheels back on and drive off. The brake pedal should be firm. If it isn't, don't even bother driving it. There is a leak or air in the system. Go back and recheck everything. When you finally do go for a drive, take it easy until you are certain the brakes work. Keep one hand on Mr. Parking Brake, just to be sure...

Your brake system works via hydraulics. You press the brake pedal and that exerts force on brake fluid in the master cylinder. The master cyclinder's job is to multiply that force and send it out to all four brake calipers, where the brake pads are pushed against the rotors, creating friction, and slowing your car down. The brake fluid is nearly incompressible, so any movement of your foot on the brake should immediately be transmitted out to the brakes. However, if there is any air in the system you are going to have a soft, mushy feel when you press the brake pedal. Why? Because unlike fluid, air is easily compressed. Bleeding the brakes will replace old fluid with new, uncontaminated fluid and remove any air within the system.

Reactions: Msjulie