Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake bleed on a 2017 Model X:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
I just bled the brakes on my 2017 MX using a Motive Products (Motive Products - One Man Bleeder & Filler Products) pressure bleeder. 85K miles. Fluid tested as having a bit of water in it but not excessive, and the fluid was dark. This is a fairly easy job with the right tools.

One problem I encountered is that Motive Products doesn’t list brake reservoir adaptors for Teslas. I found that their model 1118 adapter works, but the gaskets that come with it are too thick. I found a 1/16” thick, 2” diameter rubber washer, plus I used a 2” diameter piece of 1/16” thick “fun foam” (available at JoAnn or other craft stores) behind the rubber washer in the adapter to make a good pressure seal on the brake reservoir. I did call Motive Products, and they are also sending me two #0700 gaskets to try out.

I just looked at the Motive Products website, and they list the kit # 0118 as applicable to Tesla, but I believe it comes with the too-thick adapter gaskets. You also need to order the #1810 catch bottle. Or, I use a catch bottle from Allstar Performance that has a magnet on the side (https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perf...-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1) The magnet can hold the catch bottle on the wheel hub while bleeding.

I first sucked out as much of the old fluid as I could from the brake reservoir using a turkey baster, then I filled it back up with new fluid. I put lots of paper towels around the brake reservoir to protect the body paint below. I ran 12-15 psi in the bleeder with about a quart and a half of DOT 3 brake fluid.

I started at the passenger rear tire, removing the tire to get full access to the bleed nipples on the Brembo calipers. The bleed nipples take an 11 mm wrench, but they were pretty tight. I used an 11 mm socket wrench to loosen them slightly so the regular wrench wouldn’t round off the flats on the nipples. I bled the inner nipple first, then the outer at each wheel. I went tire by tire from driver rear, passenger passenger rear, passenger front and driver front tires.

It took about two hours thru final cleanup. This is the first time I’ve done this on a Tesla, and I could now do it faster.

Good job, it's easier every time you do it. The 0118 kit is indeed correct. I grabbed one last time I was at Motive, but I'm not sure what size gasket they were including at the time.

Use a flare nut wrench in the future when working on brake fittings or bleeders:

If you're going to go through all the work of bleeding I would recommend a DOT 5.1 fluid.