Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Fluid cap missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I got a Brake fluid low error today and hence I opened the hood to check the level. To my surprise the cap was missing and the fluid has spilled over. I am not sure how the cap can come off by itself. Has anyone seen this kind of issue?

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Hi All,
I got a Brake fluid low error today and hence I opened the hood to check the level. To my surprise the cap was missing and the fluid has spilled over. I am not sure how the cap can come off by itself. Has anyone seen this kind of issue?

Nope, but I would strongly recommend getting the brakelines flushed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and having the system open to the elements can introduce excess water. Additionally, if by chance air bubbles entered the system (not very likely) you will have develop a squishy brake pedal feel. You'll also want to clean up that brake fluid as best you can with paper towels. Brake fluid and transmission fluid can be very corrosive to non-plastic materials.

Reactions: dark cloud
Nope, but I would strongly recommend getting the brakelines flushed. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and having the system open to the elements can introduce excess water. Additionally, if by chance air bubbles entered the system (not very likely) you will have develop a squishy brake pedal feel. You'll also want to clean up that brake fluid as best you can with paper towels. Brake fluid and transmission fluid can be very corrosive to non-plastic materials.
Thanks. I have wiped it down as much as I can, still can see areas where I cannot reach without opening up more. Anyways, I have scheduled a service request and hope they can take care of this soon.

I agree with everything above but worry about the root cause. Is it possible it was left off after the last service? Have you had brakes done recently? If not, what is creating back pressure to pop the lid off?

FWIW, I did that years ago when doing a brake job - had to squeeze the calipers to fit new pads and rotors and didn’t stop to loosen the lid - it made quite a mess.

Hi Sdasam,

Did your issue get resolved. I have the same problem. Found missing cap last week. Not sure when it fell off. Tesla ordered the part but not sure when they will get it. This is for 2018 Model X. Appreciate if you could share your experience.

Hi All,

Not meaning to be picky, but doesn't that involve more than "opening the hood?" On my 2015 Model S, the only fluid reservoir visible when i open the frunk hood is for the windshield washer fluid. I am not sure I would even know how to remove the plastic covers to get at the area around the frunk where I assume the brake fluid reservoir is. My owner's manual does not seem to show how to access that area. And I have always wondered why Tesla did not make the brake fluid reservoir and certain other items accessible under the hood, because of just this type of situation. It is all well and good to have a neat and clean frunk area, but it means that consumers have to disassemble the covers to get at things like the battery and the brake fluid, possibly risking not being able to reassemble it correctly.
I looked in my owner's manual, it just says to "contact Tesla immediately" if you get an indication that brake fluid is low, and does not mention trying to refill it. So, i guess they really did not want owners to do even this simple maintenance....

Not meaning to be picky, but doesn't that involve more than "opening the hood?" On my 2015 Model S, the only fluid reservoir visible when i open the frunk hood is for the windshield washer fluid. I am not sure I would even know how to remove the plastic covers to get at the area around the frunk where I assume the brake fluid reservoir is. My owner's manual does not seem to show how to access that area. And I have always wondered why Tesla did not make the brake fluid reservoir and certain other items accessible under the hood, because of just this type of situation. It is all well and good to have a neat and clean frunk area, but it means that consumers have to disassemble the covers to get at things like the battery and the brake fluid, possibly risking not being able to reassemble it correctly.
I looked in my owner's manual, it just says to "contact Tesla immediately" if you get an indication that brake fluid is low, and does not mention trying to refill it. So, i guess they really did not want owners to do even this simple maintenance....

there are plenty of YouTube videos that show how. It’s pretty trivial And tool free. Even the frunk removal is trivial, but does require removing four screws. Then you can inspect a lot of key things like coolant level, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
This same thing happened to me too. I filled it up with fluid today and the light went off. But I agree with the other post, the lines need bled because water could've gotten into the system easily. My neighborhood mechanic said he won't touch the car, he told me to go to the Tesla dealer. The dealer told me next appointment is over 30 days away - I don't want to drive for a month with a missing brake cap.

On the S so probably the X as well the masyer cylinder is GM and a matching cap readily available at any of the parts stores under the "help" brand.
Spilled brake fluid can destroy paint and as it drips from under the vehicle while you drive it can get turned into a mist and mess up the back of your car and the ones behind you.