Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes groan and creak - 2020 MX 6k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this problem looked at by a service rep and was told every model x does this. When about to stop or releasing the brake from a stop on an incline or decline the brakes on my model x just groan and creek. It’s not from the hold feature always, but is this common from other’s experience? Or does the Tesla just have crappy rotors and brake pads or inadequate brakes? My old BMW X5 didn’t do this, nor does my model y or my previous model 3. Any advice would be great.

My 2019 with 20K does not do that.
They can make some odd noises turning tightly in parking lots with auto hold on.

How do your rotors look?

Some folks don’t use their brakes enough and they can become very rough/ pitted.

I always make sure I dry out my rotors after washing the car or it rains (on any car) but it’s particularly important on cars with regenerative braking.

Also driving the car enough regularly also helps. Sitting for long periods isn’t good for the rotors.

I notice it less if I've had a moment where I've had to use the brakes hard recently. So, I think it's probably just lack of use.

If I had to guess why Model Y doesn't do it, I'd bet it's a pad compound difference between the cars. Model X needs more heat tolerance thanks to power and weight.