Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new car non painted parts!? WTF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am due delivery late September Custom build Model X LR.

I got a bit giddy and took test drive today, I have never noticed that inside the front doors on the car its not painted?

Is this just on the Demo car or all Model X cars not painted here?

I really hope not as for a £90,000 car I would find that if they are not ridicules!

See pics attached to get an understanding of where I mean as I have no idea what that area is called!

Just a bit of over spay and also looks like its not finished as there are holes not ceiled / plugged and bolts that are to long?

IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg

I find it crazy that the holes are open, I thought maybe they where drain holes, but at closer look they arser just access holes to put nuts on.
The bolt does not interfere but why use bolts that are to long! Just make the right length bolt. The non painted parts is just inexcusable IMO.
it's not my actual car, that I still to arrive. But it was a 2020 brand new demo car, which will eventually be for sale.

I would really like to know if anybody else Model X's are not painted there?

I can't believe they would have this as a demo, unless all Model X's are not painted there.. When the doors are open (Its the same on both sides) my mate noticed it start away, its so obvious.
I think it's shocking..

More than likely there should be rubber or plastic plugs in those holes. Does the bolt interfere with the operation of the door If not I wouldn't worry about it. The no paint is common on a Tesla The no paint would bother me the most

Yes this is completely normal on all Tesla’s. I have had 2 3s and 2 Xs with this.

Wow! I am guessing that's ok with you then,

So if mine arrives like that It would be a bit much to point it out and request they actually finish painting my car!?

I wonder ho much they save over all the cars they build by not painting the whole car in paint and labour!

Mind boggles at £90,000! And a car that is not finished.

All luxury car brands that I owned previously or now, the same areas are no holes (or at least covered) and most importantly, always painted with the same exterior colors, I get used to color matched and never pay attention to it until now, but apparently, Tesla's spec is much different and my 19 LR shows exactly like the picture.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Cars are painted after being totally assembled. Do not know how their robotic painters would get quality paint in there.

I understand that Tesla is reducing paint to the absolute minimum for ecological reasons. They do not use additional paint for areas typically not seen. They are reducing their use of Chrome trim for the same reasons. Model Y has reduced the amount of chrome trim in the Model Y.

Reasonable that customers would want paint most everywhere, but would cause additonal environmental costs.

My midnight silver looks exactly the same. Didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. And no, that bolt is not too long, it's fine. It's pointless to plug the wholes, that unpainted piece with holes in it is "free standing", you can reach in with your hand (not recommend) and touch the other side of the holes. You can even touch the fabric for the wheel wells as well. It's not easy to see but you can feel it's open. In other words that piece is not enclosing some cavity.

It is odd they don't paint those surfaces. You'll find spots under the hood and trunk too.